What Do Kids Find So Fascinating About Trains?


Kenzie is holding up a couple of figurines from my Dickens Village
as she watches little people on the train video...
Just about everyone knows I enjoy trains and model railroading.  I've always been drawn to trains as far back as I can remember.  I asked for my first train set when I was only four years old and I have been hooked ever since then.  

Lukas and Mackenzie were with us today and I couldn't help but notice how excited, entranced and mesmerized they became while watching three videos of model trains that I received just today.  They were very animated... jumping... dancing... screaming "dains" as they point at a new train entering the scene on the television screen... making chugging sounds... running up to the television and looking as though they think they could just reach out and grab a train for themselves. I've never seen them so glued to the television for so long! So, what is it about these little models that causes almost all kids to become so animated and excited?


Another interesting thing I noticed today is that Mackenzie is more interested in the city scenes with people and subway trains on the "L"...  the elevated train tracks in big cities....   while Lukas was more excited about all the big, smoking, chugging steam engines.  

Mackenzie has always enjoyed playing with a little Charles Dickens display we have in one corner of the living room behind our large couch.  She gets up on the couch and plays with all the people figurines surrounding our St Mark's Church and Danville train station.  She is definitely attracted to these little city scenes so it should come as no surprise that she also found the city scenes on the video exciting as well.  But, why?  What is it about these little models that always seem to capture the attention of little ones?  (And, of course, older big ones such as myself...)

I, myself, love these little models and have my own reasons for being drawn to them but I am stumped on why so many little ones are so entralled and entranced by a little chugging locomotive at a time when they have absolutely no life experiences to affect or sway and affect their emotions. Nor can I remember what first captured my own attention about these little marvels of historical engineering when I was four years old.


Grammy, Lukas and Mackenzie returning from
a two mile walk this afternoon...
Anyway, we had a nice day with the kids today. Between volumes two and three of the train videos, Sheila managed to get the kids outside for a two mile walk.  We had a nice, well-behaved dinner followed by a quick shower for the kids. Fortunately, they love their showers!

After some time brushing each other's hair, the kids went back to watching more trains on the television while mommy had some dinner after work.  

As always, I shot a few photos and have included them here.  The kids are beginning to get fast in their movements...  too fast for the relatively low light in our house which causes a lot of motion blurring.  I need to start using more flash to freeze the action so I can get crisp shots.  

When the kids get a little older, it looks more and more like they will be interested in joining us in our annual trek down to Springfield, Massachusetts for the Amherst Railway Society's train show.  Actually, I am sure that even today they would enjoy a small cordoned off area with 'Thomas the Train' play tables. The more I think about it, there are quite a few activities for the young children at the show including train rides, play tables, Leggo trains and audience-participation clown shows.

Before long, I am beginning to see the signs that they too will be looking forward to this amazing train show every year!



Watching a model train video...









Kenzie likes typing on that GoogleTV keyboard!






Nothing like having a toy box big enough for two... 


Comments

Post a Comment