Canon Lenses For My Sony Camera

Two years ago, I purchased a Sony camera. It is, by far, the best camera I have ever used in my life (and I've used a lot of them over the past 40 years) but the selection of lenses available for this new Sony camera is rather poor. 

Sony produced this outstanding camera line and keeps pumping out new models of cameras bodies in this new line but Sony has been exceptionally slow at filling out a full line of lenses. To say I've been frustrated by this delay is a huge understatement. I'd like to get rid of all my old gear (other brands not worth mentioning here nor anywhere else) but I've been hanging onto and using my old gear to make up for the holes in the Sony lens lineup.

The problem with trying to use my old gear is that I've advanced enough in photography that these older cameras are even more frustrating for me than Sony being slow to fill out their lens lineup. I really should also mention that after using this new Sony camera, I do not enjoy using any of my older cameras (nor other people's cameras)... they frustrate me beyond belief.

Now, in Sony's defense, I should point out that at least one major flood and numerous earthquakes have interrupted Sony production lines so they are struggling to get up to speed... and they have had this problem a few times in just a few short years. It is an understandable excuse for Sony, however, it does not make things less frustrating for me here on my end.

At this point, I've decided to just buy an auto-focus lens adapter allowing me to use Canon EF lenses on my Sony camera and then buy some used Canon lenses to use on my fairly new Sony camera body.

One of the great things about this new Sony line of cameras is that older lenses can be easily adapted for use on these cameras (in most cases). Of course, an adapted lens isn't as fast to autofocus as a native lens autofocuses and various advanced features are missing (depending upon the lens and camera combo) but it is far better than no lens at all.

About two weeks ago, I decided I was going to research all my options and start down a path toward non-Sony lenses. I've been using an old Konica 40mm lens (from the film days before autofocus) on my Sony camera body for about a year and I love it!

I knew I wanted an ultra-wide angle zoom lens... and I knew I wanted a lens a little longer than the Sony 70-200mm lens I already own... and, ideally, I'd like an even longer prime lens to use for shooting wildlife (at the lake house). So, I did some research...

I found three Canon lenses that will fit my needs which I can make work financially. Two of these lenses are low cost (used) so I already ordered these first two lenses. The third lens is slightly pricey so I will need to sell my old non-Sony gear and then use that money to buy the more expensive Canon prime lens (again, a used lens). Adding these three Canon lenses will make my old gear obsolete so I have no problem selling all my old stuff with this plan in place. Plus, then I'll be able to use the Sony camera body I truly love rather than old junk from other camera manufacturers that I never should have bought in the first place.

Okay, to be honest, I learned a lot by using all those cameras and lenses made by other manufacturers over the years. And, without that experience, I wouldn't realize just how amazing this new line of Sony cameras is and how much of a joy it is to use these cameras. Admittedly, those cameras and lenses from other manufacturers did serve a purpose. That doesn't, however, make them any less frustrating to use today though.

The first of three used Canon lens arrived today... a Canon 20-35mm ultra-wide zoom lens. Oh, and the Fotodiox Pro Fusion adapter arrived earlier in the week so I was just waiting for a lens to test out the new adapter. Today, I finally had a Canon lens to try with the new adapter on my Sony camera. 

I shot a few quick photos around the house and then went out to test it on a very wide angle landscape. Below is a quick landscape photo I shot this evening... @20mm, f8, ISO 100, 1/125 sec...


So far, I like this lens. The cost was quite low in comparison to today's prices and the quality is "good". I can live with the quality that is seen in the above landscape photo. Actually, this landscape photo isn't too shabby! I want to run a few more tests but, so far, I'm liking this lens option.

It would be silly to compare this lens to a newer and much more expensive lens but this lens will fill a hole in my lens lineup while producing acceptable results... ie, far better results than my older gear is capable of producing. For instance, Sony does provide a 16-35mm lens but it is far out of my budget...  $1400 for the Sony vs $200 for the Canon. At $200, I can live with the quality we see in this photo.

The autofocus with this adapter is acceptable for mostly sedentary subjects... ie, landscapes, interiors, tight quarters. The autofocus is 'good' but not good enough to shoot fast moving kids. The main use of this particular lens, however, would be for landscapes, cityscapes, architecture and interiors so this less-than-fast autofocus speed is just fine for these purposes. I toyed with the idea of just getting a manual focus lens but opted for buying an autofocus lens adapter instead which will allow me to use autofocus lenses. So far, this lens was a great choice.

I'll write more about these Canon lenses as they arrive and I get to test them out a little bit. I'm liking this idea so far though.
A Canon EF lens on my Sony FE camera body.
Canon EF lens, Fotodiox Fusion adapter, Sony FE camera body.


And, one more landscape shot from this evening...




Comments