Apple Cider Donut Morning

The kids and Nan and Pop decided to stop by Sunday morning to bring us some cider donuts for breakfast.  I warmed up the grill while Sheila pulled out the cinnamon sugar so we'd be ready when they arrived.  

We warmed up the donuts on the grill and they were delicious!  We had some apple cider as well.  


Since the skies were clear in the morning, I set up one of my solar telescopes so we could view the sun.  There were no sunspots so the sun was a featureless disk but it was nice to peer through the scope anyway...


As always, Lukey and Kenzie took turns shooting with two of my cameras and they did a pretty good job.  This particular day was a bit more difficult for them though since the sun was high and bright.  They managed to get a few keepers though...







I'm not sure when this was but, apparently, mommy took a short nap...




Donuts for breakfast led to some hot dogs on the grill for lunch.  Sometime after lunch, I thought it might be a good idea to pull out one of my film cameras.  I don't think Lukey and Kenzie ever saw someone shooting an old film camera and I want them to know what it was like shooting photos when I was their age.  I plan to continue to shoot a few film photos with them whenever the opportunity arises.  Eventually, I plan to let them shoot a few film photos themselves.

Lukey got a few shots of me shooting some photos with the film camera...




With this particular film camera, I have to focus manually through the big viewfinder screen that is on the top of the camera.  Setting the exposure is a semi-automatic thing with this camera.  I still need to figure out the exposure with a meter but then I set a range by using various neutral density filters rather than specific exposure values so it is a semi-automatic type of exposure.  

Because it was so sunny and bright out, I had to place my models under the canopy to get away from the bright sun.  I also needed to add a neutral density filter to the lens to cut down on the bright sun even more because this Fuji Instax film is a high speed ISO 800 which really is meant to perform better in darker environments.  The kids weren't used to each photo being a slow, deliberate process but they remained mostly patient... 



Here are the film prints... 





I screwed up the first two photos because I forgot to advance the film so the first two shots ended up on one exposure/print.  Sometimes a double exposure shot comes out looking interesting but this one simply looks like a blurry mess.  The remaining prints look good though!

Later in the afternoon, after everyone left and after I took a much-needed nap, we had some rain showers quickly followed by a very distinct, bright and colorful rainbow spread across the sky outside our living room windows...




The new outdoor kitchen really came in handy on this particular day.  It was nice having everything we needed accessible right there in the yard with us.  For dinner, I grilled two boneless chicken breasts and made some sweet brussel sprouts.  That was a pretty good dinner!  

Now, I think I need to get outside so I can continue trying to fix our kayak rooftop carrier.  We're both wanting to get the kayaks to the lake but, until I fix the rooftop carrier so it fits on Sheila's relatively new car, we won't be taking the kayaks anywhere.



Comments