Added Window Awnings to Caboose

It rained all day yesterday (and I thought it was supposed to be a rainy day today too but the sun is shining at the moment...  but it is far too humid for me!) so I stayed indoors and did a little more work on the caboose for our garden railroad.  

I cut some basswood to make small awnings for each of the windows on both sides of the caboose.  I carefully glued them in place.  I even painted them after gluing them in place.  It was an easy job but a little bit time consuming.  

I feel this adds a bit of depth to the caboose.  It was looking quite flat before and lacking some sort of extra detail.  These awnings fit well.  



It is a little easier to see in this photo, below, how I had roughed up the planking on the sides of the caboose the other day.  Before I had done this, the caboose was perfectly molded plastic on a perfectly flat plane.  Now the planking boards are a bit wonky making them look a bit worn which is what I wanted.  

I have a few more things to add (hopefully today) and I still need to decide exactly how I am going to mount these two new trucks to the underside of the caboose.  Right now, the body of the caboose is just sitting on these two trucks without any fasteners whatsoever.  


EDIT:  It is now later at night...  I never did get anything else accomplished with this project today.  The batteries and battery holder arrived in the mail.  I already have the toggle switch and the interior bulbs for interior lights but I'm waiting on the marker lanterns for the exterior of the caboose.  I want to do all the wiring and electronics at once so I'm waiting for everything I need to arrive so I have it all on hand when I start on that phase of this project.

We had a threat of rain all day and it was dark and overcast so I stayed indoors.  I still have some work to do on the grade crossing signals on the garden railroad but I don't want to get caught in the rain while doing some other project outside especially when it involves electronics.  If that had happened, then I'd be scrambling to put tools away and get electronics out of the rain before they are all ruined.  So, I stayed indoors.  

I'm still on the fence about adding a little bit of detail on the inside of this caboose for where the inside is visible through the windows especially when I plan to add some dim lighting to the interior.  I'd like to have a conductor sitting in the cupola windows softly illuminated.  And, I'd like another conductor mounted on the rear platform.  

We'll see how it goes.  



Comments