Wheelchair Shopping

Those who are following this blog fairly regularly, probably already know I've been struggling for about a year with the idea of whether or not it is time to purchase a wheelchair. Well, there now is no doubt that I am well beyond the need to purchase a wheelchair for those times when my legs and/or spine are not cooperating with my brain or for when walking is far too difficult... no doubt whatsoever. 

What I am now struggling with is choosing a wheelchair suited to my needs.

Some wheelchairs are designed for those with foot or leg issues. Some wheelchairs are designed for those permanently needing a wheelchair for mobility. Some wheelchairs are designed to be controlled by a caregiver while other wheelchairs are designed to be self-propelled. Some wheelchairs are adjustable one way but not other ways... some are adjustable in different ways... while some wheelchairs are not adjustable in any way other than folding for storage. 

Of course, I've never really noticed significant differences in wheelchairs before needing to find one for myself. To my untrained eye, they all looked the same... like ancient pieces of medical hardware from the 1950s... two small wheels in front with two big wheels in back, a box-like slung chair that looks terribly uncomfortable, unappealing chrome, and looking more like an ancient tool for torture rather than a modern tool for mobility and comfort. When I began my research, I didn't really know what I needed but I did know I didn't want what I just described above!

Why is it that wheelchair design hasn't changed much in the past 60 years? They pretty much look the same as they did decades ago. 

Okay, I know that we now have all sorts of motorized carts, chairs, and scooters available for people with mobility difficulties but, aside from being well out of my budget and needs, even these motorized wheelchairs don't appear all that comfortable or even stylish. They are simply functional... maybe a bit uncomfortable for long periods of time... very bulky... and exorbitently expensive.

Why is it that all types of wheelchairs must look like a contraption taken directly from a medical office designed in 1950?

Why is it that the smallest and lightest wheelchairs cost about ten times more than the heavier, larger 'basic' models?

This got me thinking about two things:

1.  What will my insurance cover? I quickly found out that over the past 15 years my medical benefits have eroded far beyond what is reasonable while my out-of-pocket expenses have increased so often and so much that my fixed income disability pay decreases every year. Using my insurance is not an option.

2. What features do I need in a wheelchair? This question was more difficult to answer because, as with everything else in life on a fixed income, compromise is necessary. Also making this question a difficult one to answer is the fact that, until now, I never really paid much attention to different types of wheelchairs, features and accessories.

For the most part, I will only need this wheelchair for events that stretch out over a number of hours or the course of a full day. For example, our annual train show weekend has been impossible for me each of the past three years. Within an hour or two, I need to get off my feet because the pain is so excruciating that I see stars and have difficulty breathing because each breath puts pressure on my inflamed spine. Unfortunately, this particular show demands eight hours each of two days. So, for times like this, I need a way to be mobile and, preferably, relatively free of pain.

There are other times when walking is excruciating. Simply walking across a room can be extremely difficult and painful. If I had a suitable wheelchair, I suppose I would not be confined to the house during these periods.


Roscoe K4-lite model.
Unfortunately, our house is very small so I don't think a wheelchair would help me much inside the house. There simply is not the room inside our home for a wheelchair to maneuver. That being said, I would be able to get out of the house during these periods and get some air or even roam around a store or mall. That is better than being confined to a couch. 

So, for me, I need a wheelchair for only occasional use, but.... and this is a big but... this chair must be comfortable to someone with extensive spinal injuries. A square cube-like slung seat won't work for me. A seat like this would probably be too painful to sit in during periods of spinal pain. So, I need a seat with a backrest that I can adjust in order to get as comfortable as possible. 

In my research, I quickly realized that finding a wheelchair with an adjustable back is extremely difficult. I have found one but they are few and far between and, of course, these models are significantly more expensive.

Although I do need footrests to keep my feet from dangling or sliding on the floor, I do not need elevating leg supports so I knew I could eliminate that feature. Elevating leg supports are more for people with foot, leg or hip injuries. Actually, elevating my feet while in a seated position would probably be far too much stress on my lumbar spine so I do not need nor want elevating leg supports.

The weight of the wheelchair matters...  obviously, the lighter the wheelchair, the better. A lighter wheelchair makes it easier for putting into and lifting out of a car trunk. 


Karman S-105 Ergonomic Ultra Lightweight wheelchair.
The wheelchair needs to fold as compact as possible. This wheelchair, hopefully, will spend most of its time in storage awaiting days or events when it would be needed. Being able to fold this thing up compactly so we can store it away in our small house is a necessity.

Some chairs... the lightest and smallest of the bunch... have four small wheels rather than two large back wheels. This means that these chairs must be pushed by a caregiver. I would not be able to propel this type of chair by myself... that isn't desirable to me so that option is out for sure! 

The three main sizes are 16", 18" and 20". The 16" chairs really are designed for smaller and petite sized adults. I would need an 18" model. 

I'm finding that many chairs have adjustable heights. This is a good thing. 

The smaller and cheaper ('cheaper' as in quality and price) wheelchairs have a capacity of only 250 lbs. My weight is in the 210 to 215 range. If we add some accessories such as a bag or two hanging off this wheelchair (ie, medications, water, photography gear) then we are getting far too close to that 250 lb capacity. The better quality chairs have a 300 lb capacity and this is the capacity I should focus on in my search for a wheelchair. 

I've found that there are some basic, generic wheelchairs that can be purchased for less than $200. This surprising find got me excited until I realized that this low price is at the expense of comfort, quality and flexibility. After a few days of research, at a minimum, I'm thinking my needs will require a wheelchair in the $400-600 range. 

On the positive side, I can avoid that cold chrome look of medical equipment from 1950. Although that nasty chrome can be avoided, the chairs themselves haven't changed much and are still rather boxy and uncomfortable looking. 

Perhaps I need to design a wheelchair myself...


Comments