Health Too Poor for a Hospital Visit?

There is just something about supermarkets and grocery stores that causes major health problems for me.  I don't know if it is a cleaning product that they all use regularly that somehow triggers mast cell degranulation in my body...  or all those horrendous, dangerous florescent lights...  or maybe exhaust fumes from the loading dock being sucked into their HVAC system...  or some unknown trigger for me....  but, my health crashes more often in a grocery store than any other place.

I had a pretty good morning yesterday.  I did some light work on our master bedroom hallway.  I temporarily moved some electrical wiring for the furnace to make room for a pocket door.  I removed some studs.  Then I ran out of energy and figured it was time for lunch and then a nap.

When I awoke from my nap at 5pm, I felt like my abdomen was on fire.  It was a really weird sensation.  I felt like I had been put in a microwave oven or like radiation was centered on my abdomen.  Within a half hour, we walked into Shaw's...   into the Produce area...  before we even walked through the Produce area, my health crashed and out came the epinephrine.  

As we were walking, in a split second, my body felt like I was in a freefall...  I had difficulty breathing...  nausea overwhelmed me...  dizziness...  weakness...  legs not cooperating...  cognitive 'fuzziness'...  With the help of a little bit of epinephrine, I managed to accompany Sheila as we collected the groceries we needed.  Standing in line and waiting at the checkout, however, was another story and was something I thought was prudent to avoid.  I opted to go sit in the air conditioned car and wait it out...  with my feet raised...   laying back...  

That was my first little bout with anaphylaxia yesterday...   there were still two more identical bouts to come before I would make it to bed.

I was scheduled to be at the hospital in Burlington today for a follow up appointment with the surgeon for my gallbladder problem.  Since my health crashed last night, I had been wondering how my body would react to the 35 minute drive to the hospital...  wondering about the wisdom of driving in this condition...  wondering about what other symptoms might appear.

Someone must be looking out for me because the doctor's office called me first thing this morning to reschedule this appointment.  I really had no desire to drive to Burlington in this condition so this is good news!  Imagine...  I'm feeling too lousy to head to the hospital!

Now I am experiencing the post-mast cell degranulation inflammation and associated pain. This time, this pain is in the area of my kidneys again.  It is not terrible, but, then again, I am used to daily inflammation and pain so feeling pain all day long is 'normal' for me.  Constantly having pain makes it difficult to rate any new pain which is less than a five on the ten-point pain scale.  The pain from my spinal injuries spikes to well over a five on the pain scale daily.  So, quite often, the more intense spinal pain will mask the less intense mast cell inflammation.  

Hopefully I will have a quiet day today and my health will strengthen.  We'll attempt the hospital next week...

Comments