Honored at The National Museum of the Air Force

The official Air Force letter, signed by Sheila, notifying me that a
'Legacy Data Plate' in my name will be installed at the entrance to the
National Museum of the Air Force.
On Christmas morning, Sheila informed me that she had arranged for me to be honored at the National Museum of the Air Force in Dayton, Ohio!  How is that for a nice Christmas surprise?

In the official Air Force notification letter, Sheila wrote, "...what better way of immortalizing and honoring the airman you are and the highlights of your impressive and proud, albeit short career, than in a place of honor and respect at the National Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton, Ohio." Personally, I can think of no better place for this honor.

A beautiful aviation-style stainless steel 'Legacy Data Plate' in my name will be mounted on the "Wall of Honor" at the entrance to the museum. This Legacy Data Plate will include my name, my specialty, my branch(es) of service and years of service.  I am quite proud, honored and humbled all at the same time.  

The National Museum of the Air Force has always been one of my favorite places. Over the decades, I have spent hundreds upon hundreds of hours strolling through this immense museum. I have participated in countless ceremonies with Aviation Hall of Fame inductees at this landmark. I have attended countless dinners among the historical aircraft. I have had the honor to meet family members of the Wright brothers among the ghosts of the skies. I have walked the Memorial Park gardens like a sentry guarding the honor of his friends and Air Force family. I have flown many kites on the expansive lawn flying gracefully over missiles overlooking the Memorial Park. I have perused every inch of this amazing museum, seen many changes and watched its growth over the decades.  To say this museum has a special place in my heart is a huge understatement.  I can't begin to accurately explain how this museum makes me feel deep within my soul.

In fact, shortly after Sheila and I had met, she had asked if I could go to just one more place in my life, where would it be?  My answer, without hesitation, was "The Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio."  Admittedly, this is an odd and unusual wish, but nevertheless, it was, it still is and it probably always will be my answer.

Traditionally, all military aircraft have a data plate which identifies the builder, model designation, serial number and any other pertinent information.  This "Wall of Honor" of Legacy Data Plates is the museum's way to extend this aviation tradition as a way to recognize and honor individuals.  Sheila has nominated me to be honored in this way.

Many old friends of mine are already honored in the Memorial Park just outside the entrance to the museum, however, those plaques are memorial plaques honoring the memory of those whom have passed.  I have to say that even though I am extremely proud to be honored on this "Wall of Honor", it is definitely a bit surreal to even imagine seeing my name on this "Wall of Honor".  This is something which is traditionally only seen as a memorial.  When my Data Plate is mounted at the entrance to the museum, it will not only be very emotional for me to see my own name in a place I feel is almost sacred, but it will also be a proud, but humbling, reminder of all I have experienced, accomplished and earned.


The Air Force Museum Foundation website featuring
my "Data Plate" for their Wall of Honor.
Today, when I visited the museum's website, I was shocked to see that my particular Legacy Data Plate was featured on the Air Force Museum Foundation's website! This is just the first step in this process leading to the plate being installed in place but it was still a pleasant surprise today to see my name on this digital Data Plate. 

I am still waiting to proof the plate...  then I need to approve a short biography for the Foundation's website and a photo must be submitted to be included in the biography.

Of course, not only is this a great honor and a moving reminder of my accomplishments but this is also a reminder that I am getting old! At some point during all of this, I realized that this is the kind of stuff I always saw in the news when I was much, much younger (with a lot more energy) about Korean War and WWII veterans being honored in memorials, dedications and ceremonies. Now, I am being honored?  Wow!  Hey wait...  this means that I am now the old disabled guy being honored...  hmmm...  hey, if the shoe fits, right?

All kidding aside, I am honored and humbled to be bestowed with this tremendous honor.  I have Sheila to thank for making it possible to be a part of this aviation tradition by permanently adding my name and biography to this "Wall of Honor"...  Thank you Sheila!

Needless to say, we will need to make a trip out to Dayton sometime soon to dedicate my place on this 'Wall of Honor'....



Note:  When my biography is posted on the website for my Legacy Data Plate, I will add an image of it here in my blog.


Comments

  1. Such a great honor Patrick. You have worked hard to earn it and we are very proud of you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment