New Keyboard and Mouse

New HP Envy desktop computer with Beats Audio...
Excellent audio for a home computer!
I had mentioned in a previous blog post a few weeks ago that my computer had stopped working and that finding a new one proved to be a difficult, time-consuming task. Within a week or so, I had a new HP Envy desktop computer delivered to my door.

Money is always an issue for us considering the medical bills for both Sheila and me with our respective illnesses so this was a costly problem we did not welcome. We've certainly had more serious and costly 'emergency' problems but this was a problem we needed to address as soon as possible in today's electronic world. This computer issue sort of bumped a few more projects around the house. My health hasn't been cooperating for home renovations anyway so that slows down renovations which helps with the budget issues.


Buying a new computer always involves extra costs though. There is software to replace which can total more than the cost of the computer. There is new hardware to buy for backing up data. There are little odds and ends to buy simply due to a new workflow with this new computer.


Logitech Illuminated Keyboard
After setting up this new computer and learning about this new operating system I found there would need to be some additional changes. For starters, the keyboard that came with the new computer was rather basic and lacking controls. It was also very noisy which is a problem when I am typing late at night while Sheila is trying to sleep. The new mouse was also very loud which was problematic for our bedroom situation too. I needed to find replacements to fit my needs... for graphics work... for desktop publishing... ergonomics needed to fit my big mitts... and economics needed to fit my budget. 


I settled upon an illuminated keyboard made by Logitech. This keyboard is rather quiet, feels very nice, has many extra controls and has illuminated keys for ease of use at night in a darkened bedroom. I've had an illuminated keyboard in the past but the quality of this Logitech is far better than any keyboard I have ever used including that first illuminated keyboard. 

This Logitech keyboard has a sensor which adjusts the brightness of the keyboard automatically. It also shuts down automatically to save on battery power (it is wireless) and turns on automatically the moment your hands hover over the keyboard. I opted to keep my keyboard plugged into a USB port for continuous charging so the keyboard stays illuminated all the time since power is not an issue. When I want to sit back in my chair and surf the net comfortably, I just need to quickly unplug the cable from my keyboard.

Nexus Wireless Silent Mouse SM-8000B
The mouse I chose... a Nexus Wireless Silent Mouse... is rated as a "silent" mouse so there will be no more annoying clicking sounds emanating from my mouse as I work on photos and artwork late at night. The mouse that came with the new computer was the most annoyingly loud mouse I have ever had the displeasure to use. It was uncomfortable to use as well. This new mouse is smooth and quiet. It even sports two side buttons for "forward" and "back" in browsers which I have found is exceptionally convenient. I don't know how I survived without this mouse for all these years!

Both of these items are excellent and have made a world of difference in ease of use. I've finally managed to get most of my software upgraded and loaded now. There are a few other programs and hardware items I would like to upgrade and replace but they can wait for now...

Comments

  1. I admire the detail in this post, and how you describe the thought processes that so many of us have when buying new computers and tech. The Logitech keyboard sounds like it was a good investment, and the silent mouse sounds fantastic. Given you were able to buy both on a relatively tight budget, I will investigate and consider buying for myself!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment