HD Movies To Go

Whenever we travel, we like to bring some entertainment with us in the form of music, movies, magazines and books. Our Kindles are capable of holding almost all of this media plus they save so much space and weight! Typically, what we can't fit physically on the Kindle's drive, we can access in our Amazon Cloud... if we always have internet/wifi access. Our next trip, which is a cross-country Amtrak excursion in a sleeper car, promises to have spotty service throughout most of the trip so we needed to prepare.

I never know when my miserable health will appear so I like to ensure I always have something to do to keep my mind off of my health. Plus, if my health is so poor that I am stuck behind while everyone is out and about sightseeing and celebrating, I really need something to entertain myself. This is where the HD movies, music, magazines and books come into play.

I downloaded music to my Kindle Fire... no problem with that because I have more than enough space for that on my drive. Magazines and books are no problem either. These kind of things don't take up a whole lot of space. I also have maps and travel books on the Kindle to help us get around. Movies, however, are difficult because they eat up a lot of storage space on these small devices.

I always travel with my laptop to store photos, edit photos, sort photos, and share photos during the trip so I can access movies through my laptop. Besides the viewing screen is larger on my laptop than my Kindle Fire (although...  the resolution is far better on the Kindle) and I have USB and HDMI ports access ports on my laptop making the laptop the best choice for accessing movies. Also, I would be able to easily connect my laptop to any television in our hotel suite in case I am stuck at the hotel nursing my health. 

I don't want to eat up valuable real estate on my laptop's hard drive because I need that space for thousands of high resolution images as I shoot each day. My next option is to put the movies on an external drive. Plus, I want the movie files to be portable.

18 full length high definition movies on this tiny drive smaller than a quarter!
Oh... and there is still room for more movies on this tiny drive!
We're trying to travel as light as possible (my medications alone will fill a small suitcase so space is at a premium) so I didn't really want to carry around a portable hard drive in addition to everything else. 

As I was trying to decide what to do, I noticed an old flash drive on my desk and thought, "hmmm... I could use one of those little things!" I quickly went to my Amazon account and ordered a 32gb USB 3.0 flash drive for $15 or so... it arrived two days later... it is smaller than a quarter!

While waiting for this flash drive to arrive, I chose 18 movies from our library of DVD's and Blue Ray disks and ripped them onto my computer. When the flash drive arrived this afternoon, I just dragged the folder over my new flash drive icon... I now have 18 HD movies to go!

This drive is so small that I can easily leave it plugged into one of the USB 3.0 ports on my laptop and it would not even be noticeable. Now I can view these movies on any of our computers or even our surround sound system in our living room! 

Although it would be a small miracle for my health to stay in the 'fair' to 'good' range for the length of this trip, hopefully my health cooperates and I won't need any of these movies to occupy my time... 

Time will tell...

Comments