Poultry

I've never really been a big fan of poultry even before my illness. In fact, you would often find me in the backyard at the grill with a thick, juicy steak on Thanksgiving Day while my family was inside waiting for some tasteless bird to come out of the oven. Don't get me wrong, I love tasty grilled chicken... deep fried chicken... chicken parmesan...  chicken curry... and even chicken cacciatore... but I'm really someone who loves beef and pork. Poultry is rarely something I would order in a nice restaurant (and never something I order in a less-than-nice restaurant if I feel I may get bad poultry). 

Even when I was healthy, before this insidious illness, chicken would make me feel slimey and I would be hungry again within an hour. Fish would affect me the same way. I always just figured that I am more of a hearty meat and potatoes sort of guy. And, let's be honest, I am, always have been, and always will be a meat and potatoes sort of guy.

It turns out that perhaps it was my illness controlling this all along.  Fish and seafood are horrendous for my health causing anaphylaxis and disgusting gastrointestinal issues... poultry does the same to me... not as severe but severe enough. Once my illness developed fully and crashed down upon me I learned that fish, seafood and poultry (particularly bone-in) are known to be bad news for mast cell disease patients. I'm no exception to this rule.

So, I desired some fried chicken last night... (it is strange how our bodies sometimes crave things we know are very bad for us... and potentially causing anaphylaxis is very bad!)

I bought the freshest boneless chicken breasts I could find (freshness helps considerably) which is the safest cut of chicken for my health...  and I made some fried chicken breasts for dinner. I only ate a relatively small piece of chicken to play it safe. By midnight, I was sick as a dog in the bathroom. I didn't know which end it was going to come out of which is a sign that I was quite ill.

I'll spare you of all the specifics... let's just say it was brutal. I crawled into bed again at around 1:30am feeling weak and nauseated with a searing pain all through my abdomen. My heartrate was high as I was recovering from potential anaphylaxis. I was exhausted but wasn't sure my body was ready to lie down quietly in bed just yet... but I had no energy left to go back into the bathroom...

After our long journey to and from San Antonio over the past two weeks, I knew I would need at least a few weeks to recover... mast cell degranulation episodes such as this only prolong this recovery period. 

So today my only goal is to post this short blog entry.  

Done...  time to lie down...

Comments