Atmospheric Pressure and Pain

As our atmospheric pressure drops due to a cold front with thunderstorms pushing down from Canada, the bone and joint pain caused by Systemic Mastocytosis has increased to an excruciating level last night. "Hyper-sensitivity" is the term of the day today. Just some very light fingertip pressure is enough to cause sharp pains shooting through my body causing me to flinch and respond vocally. 

The pain... all through my entire body... was at its worst last night at bedtime. That being said, I could have been more sensitive to the pain because I was exhausted. All I know is that when we went to bed last night, I felt as though I had something very seriously wrong with all my organs, all my bones... I felt as though I had just been hit by a train and was thrown aside like a rag doll... badly bruised... smashed like a tomato thrown against the pavement.

All through the night, I had dreams of being in pain. My dreams took me to some places in my past where these injuries first occurred. My dreams took me to people whom have long passed. My dreams took me to places where I was trying to work on homes but experiencing debilitating pain as I tried to lift things, turn different ways, bend, climb ladders and even when I would touch my body... all debilitating and excruciating. When I awoke this morning, unfortunately, I was abruptly reminded that all the pain in all those dreams is real. Sleep doesn't even give me a brief respite from the pain. It seems there is no escape clause.

These quick atmospheric pressure changes always cause intense pain. This pain is at its worst when the pressure drops but I can feel pain when the atmospheric pressure quickly increases as well. I can only assume that my body and my health is not capable of equalizing this pressure of opposing forces playing inside and outside my body. Come to think of it, my breathing capacity and effectiveness is extremely limited at these times as well.  I definitely had difficulty breathing last night...  and moderately so yesterday afternoon. (In hindsight, I should have taken the breathing difficulties as a sign of impending failing health and immediately started on an extra course of medications.)

Regardless... today is a day of pain... it will be a very slow, dark, wet, painful day.

Comments