"Gramps" Tanker


Today was a rather slow day (poor health through the night) so I took a little time to shoot a photo of a tank car I picked up on eBay recently. There is some significance to this particular tanker though... it has the name "Gramps" written in large lettering across the car like it is a special production train car rather than a true model of a real train. 

The moment I first saw one of these unusual freight cars, I thought of my own grandfather, whom we affectionately called "Gramps", and how he is one of the main people to get me interested in model railroading as a young child.

Dear 'ole Gramps is no longer with us but he is in my thoughts often. Both he and my grandmother were responsible for providing piano lessons for me... for my sailboat... for my love of antique wood boats... he got me started in photography... he is responsible for my nautical knowledge and interest in boating... my grandmother is responsible for much of my cooking skills and abilities... for keeping us clothed... for keeping us well fed... for simply spoiling us while teaching us respect and humbleness... and, Gramps is responsible for my lifelong interest in trains and model railroading. 

The moment I saw this tank car with the name "Gramps" written across it, I knew it was a car I would like displayed on a shelf to remind me of dear 'ole Gramps and all he had taught me.

So, when I first saw one of these tankers, I set out to find out about this "Gramps" tanker... Was it a real company? Were there actually tank cars with the name "Gramps" written across them? Which railroad did they belong to? And, how much does one of these models cost?

First, I noticed the price... all these tank cars were in the $80 to $120 price range...  eek! I can't afford that! I am in no hurry to build the collection but more interested in specific pieces. I was determined to keep searching to find a good deal.

In the meantime, I started researching the history of this tank car. 

There was indeed an oil company named "Gramps Oil". There was an oil field in New Mexico owned by Lafayette Hughes and these tankers were used to transport this oil. Lafayette Hughes had these tankers painted with the name "Gramps" across it so his grandchildren would know which train cars belonged to him. 

I decided it would be best to find one of these tank cars in the scale of my biggest model trains... my F scale narrow gauge trains. These particular trains will really only be used as a display and the "Gramps" name would be easiest to spot on trains this size (these are BIG trains...  this tanker car measures 16" long and is 7" tall!).

My plan is to have an eight foot display in a bookcase at the end of our spare bedroom. The steam locomotive and tender measure 30 inches so I'll need quite a bit of length for the locomotive, tender and a few cars, including this tanker car.  Eight feet of display may sound like a lot but, in this very large F scale, I will only be able to fit a very short train consisting of only a few cars. Realistically scaled trees for an F scale display should be two to four feet tall...  upwards of six feet tall depending upon species and age!

I'm handlaying F scale narrow gauge track for this display. I already cut all the ties out of cedar. When I'm ready to start building this display, I will lay out the rail across the ties (I bought six foot sections of rail)... then using tie plates and tiny spikes, I will spike down the rail by hand.

This should be a beautiful, custom display... whenever I get to renovating that bedroom!

In the meantime, I am researching, planning and collecting things as I find them at bargain basement prices!

I finally came across an Fn3 scale "Gramps" tank car... I managed to purchase this big narrow gauge tanker for just $25! 

Just as Gramps Hughes wanted his grandchildren to think of him as they saw these rail cars clickety-clacking down the tracks, I will think of my own Gramps whenever I see this model sitting on a shelf in my home... I will think of how he got me started in model railroading as well as photography... piano... wooden boats... sailing... and, even how to be a loving grandfather. 

Gramps will be missed but always remembered...


Comments