Always Teetering on Disaster

My health always seems to be teetering on disaster. 

I actually had a "relatively good" day on Sunday...  possibly the best day of health I've had in the past four months of consistently lousy health... contrasting that "good" health on Sunday, all of that quickly changed today.

The crazy thing is that I think my health has crashed today not because of something completely out of my control but because I had to spread out today's four doses of medications over a significant longer period of time and, frankly,... I did not manage my medications effectively.

Typically, my first dose of a cocktail of medications for Systemic Mastocytosis each day is at around 8am before breakfast.... then noon before lunch... then 4pm before dinner...  and then around 9pm before bed (I always must take these medications on an empty stomach). So, as you can see from this normal schedule, I only spread out my medications up to about five hours apart. History has proven that if I start to hit six to seven hours without medications, my health cascades into a myriad of debilitating symptoms including sudden anaphylaxis, nausea, palpitations, tachycardia, vomiting and diarrhea. Quite simply, missing a dose of medications is a recipe for disaster.

Today we got up at around 3:30am to head to the airport...  so I took my morning dose of medications at 3:30am which is significantly earlier than usual. Unfortunately, I didn't take my next dose of medications until before lunch at around 12:30pm. I don't know why I didn't squeeze in an extra dose of medications today to make up for the extra waking hours... I really should have... but, I didn't. I suppose I was still riding that high of having relatively good health for the past few days so maintaining my quality of health slipped from the forefront of my thoughts.

A span of nine hours between doses of medications this morning didn't work out too well... my health crashed into a mild case of borderline anaphylaxis, nausea, weakness, palpitations, tachycardia, dizziness, headache and I was in and out of the bathroom all afternoon. It was a rough day.

It is days like today that make it abundantly obvious that my health is always teetering on disaster. My medications barely keep my health stable and everything can fall apart suddenly just by missing a dose of medications by a few short hours. 

Whenever I have a relatively good day like I did on Sunday, I don't pay close enough attention to my health and, subsequently, it is easy to forget about any part of managing this insidious illness. If I'm feeling relatively good, it is sooo easy to forget to take a dose of medications and history has proven that this is a recipe for disaster....


Comments