Backstepping To An Unfinished Project

Today, I installed a new dimmer that has a remote which we can
access while in bed... plus, this dimmer turns on the lighting
smoothly and slowly... and smoothly and slowly when turning off.

Today we backstepped to an old, unfinished project... our new bedroom.

Health problems and inclement weather had caused a lot of delays. Health problems are simply a fact and seem to be more of a problem in recent months but I'm still getting little things accomplished whenever a good hour or two presents itself. Trying to get the weather to cooperate with my health is a crap-shoot though and this causes significant delays.

Today's task in moving forward with this bedroom project, however, was to jockey things around the house in order to make a clean spot in this room. I had finished quite a bit of work already but the room was filled with tools and leftover construction materials. We needed to find a place(s) to put all this stuff.

I had already demolished the old closet and built a new one... I rebuilt shelves and a desktop... refinished the desktop and shelves... painted the bedroom... did some work on the floor... took care of some leftover plumbing from an ancient bathroom that used to reside in this area of the house... and I hung some doors. Today, I did some electrical work and filled some gaps in the floor repairs.


Rebuilt and refinished book shelves....
Before any of that work could be accomplished, I needed to remove our stored Christmas decorations in the shed so we could move the summer storage back into the shed. This freed up some space for other things. 

I needed to move the wood I had already cut for our wood plank ceiling in this new bedroom to inside the house. So, the shed needed some organization... bins needed to be rotated... and Christmas decorations separated. 

All of this preliminary shuffling around was enough to screw up my spine enough that I wanted to call it a day long before we had finished. In all, I think I took three of four extended breaks to help out my screaming spine. The pain was breathtaking and energy-sapping. 


Electrical run to the ceiling for track lighting... 
After all that jockeying around of 'stuff', I installed a new remote dimmer for our track lighting in this new bedroom. The wires are run through the ceiling now and ready for the wood ceiling to be installed. I installed some new outlets to replace some old, dangerous outlets. The last thing I accomplished was to fill some gaps in a couple of floor repairs. 

Next... I need to stain, poly and install the wood for the ceiling. I also need to stain and poly all the wood trim (baseboard, door trim, crown, etc) and two nightstands. After all that staining is done, then I can install a carpet to match the carpet in our adjoining living room... install the previously stained and poly'd trim... then hang the mini-blinds again... hang the curtains...  install the track lighting... hang artwork and photos... move the bed into the room... move the computers to the desk...

Then, we can move into the bedroom!  These last few finishing details always go quickly though so I'm not concerned about this long 'to-do' list.

Just moving around all the 'stuff' we needed to move today was a significant step forward...


I replaced all the old, cracked, filthy outlets to new ones and inspected the wiring...

Electrical run through the ceiling... ready for the wood planked ceiling...

The next full-room photos should show a nice new bedroom!



Comments