Pulling Focus

I've really been struggling with attaining video quality that meets my own standards. Contrary to what most people may think, although there are some similarities between photography and videography, there are very significant differences. I'm pretty good with photography but videography is something I would like to learn to do just as well.

I've had to learn about file formats, frames per second, how shutter speed affects video and is not nearly as flexible as in photography, and how to find correct exposure when locking down frames per second and that shutter speed. I've learned that there is vastly less flexibility in attaining correct exposure in video when compared to photography. 

I've had to learn about post-production editing and that will always be an on-going process. I actually like this part of the video process but I could definitely use a new Quadro graphics card to help make things flow more smoothly throughout this process. (It's on my wish list!)

I've also been working on learning about effective color grading as well as learning how to attain acceptable audio in various situations. One thing for sure is that I must invest in a decent boom microphone soon! (I could definitely use a few other things as well! One thing at a time though...)

One major issue that I've noticed in all my video footage has been with focus and I decided to work on that this morning.

Using auto-focus during video capture is a huge no-no because auto-focus is rather jerky resulting in video footage which is rather dizzying. You want your focusing to be smooth and sure and using auto-focus is not the way to attain this. You must be proficient in using manual focus lenses.

And that brings up another subject... For the best results, you should use Cine lenses. You can, however, get some good results from old 35mm manual focus lenses. Cine lenses are exceptionally expensive so I'll be using my old 35mm manual focus lenses for video! 

In order to get better at using manual focus, I decided to walk around the house and practice 'pulling focus'. I'd choose a subject... make sure it is out of focus... start recording video... then carefully rotate the focus ring until my intended subject is in focus but being careful not to go beyond my subject. You simply 'pull' your subject into focus and stay there.

I could still use some more practice but I'm getting fairly good at this technique using my Sony camera. This video, below, is straight out of the camera... no color grading, no audio work... this was purely for practice in pulling focus...







The next step in practice would be to 'rack focus' from one subject to the other and back again...


Comments