Ready For Next Practice Session... but, No Birds

The kitchen window where I shoot bird photography practice
sessions seen in this blog. You can see the tree where these
birds are normally perched in the background.

As I wrote in a previous blog entry, my next step in bird photography practice is to figure out the most effective way to shoot while using a tripod or monopod.

Today, I'm all set up for my next photography practice session... camera is mounted on my tripod using my Gimbal head... and tripod is setup in the kitchen in front of the window... the sun is shining... it is above freezing out there...  I'm all set... there are no birds out there though... it is silent out there...

I waited for a half hour and then started looking around outside for a reason for there being no birds around. 

At first, I was wondering if there were some cats out there. I moved from the kitchen to the living room to check one of the windows there. As I was peering out our living room window, I noticed some movement in a big tree one house over... high...  perched on a leafless branch surveying all around him... a big bird.

This bird was too far away at first to identify... then he took flight... I then immediately knew it is a big hawk because of its awe-inspiring tremendous wingspan. Now, this would definitely pose a threat to all these tiny songbirds!

I think the same thing happened here last year. All of a sudden all the songbirds disappeared and never returned until sometime this winter. I never saw a predator in the area last year but it was obvious a predator was nearby. Today, I saw our local predator.  

On the positive side, maybe this hawk will also keep the skunks at bay this year...

Anyway, I'm ready for my next practice session using a tripod with a Gimbal head for added support and steadiness. 


Comments