Moon Through Wispy Clouds

I had another lousy health day yesterday so I didn't do much around the house. My spine was so inflamed that I could hardly walk so I put all the home renovations on hold for a day while the inflammation subsided. Today, I'm feeling considerably better but I'm waiting for the rain to stop.

While I was camped out in the living room on the couch yesterday, I decided to refresh my memory on effectively using two of my camera bodies that I use for super-long telephoto. I practiced getting some steady shots and reminding myself of the best settings for each camera body under specific conditions. 

Both of these cameras have tiny viewfinders so viewing my subjects while wearing glasses is difficult and frustrating. As a result, I really do not enjoy using either of these camera bodies. I'd love to get a newer body with a much larger viewfinder but it simply is not in my budget just yet. I'll need to use these bodies again for yet another summer season. 

I practiced using a few different lenses. I got a few motion blurred shots and a lot of crisp clear shots. I was fairly happy with the results but it was a bright sunny day which allowed me to use very fast shutter speeds. Fast shutter speeds are the key to super-long telephoto photography. The difficult thing is to get sharp results when the light fades a bit. 

After dinner, Sheila noticed that the moon was rising over the Worcester Range. I quickly peered out the window but noticed that from my window perch I have utility wires obscuring my view. Oh well. 

About a half hour later, I peered out the living room window again... the moon was higher in the sky and covered with wispy clouds...  "Hmmm...  this could be interesting..." 

I grabbed the camera body that had the longest lens on it...  600mm... switched it into manual mode since I knew any "auto" features would totally screw-up a moon shot... I wanted the lowest ISO sensitivity but the fastest shutter speed I could get. I carefully controlled my breathing to avoid shaking my camera... I steadied myself against the window frame... I fired off a few shots...  they looked horrible on the little LCD display on the back of the camera... "Oh well."  I went back to my seat on the couch to give my back a rest.

I uploaded the photos to my desktop computer first thing this morning... "Hmmm... not too bad! These are not nearly as bad as I had thought!" If the sky was clear last night I could have captured some beautiful, crisp shots.

Now, if it would dry up outside, I could get a little more work done on the house today. 

The wispy clouds covering the moon made for some interesting shadows...

Fewer clouds this time but there is still a band of clouds darkening the lower part of the moon...




Comments