Sailor Lukey - Week Two


Lukey went sailing last year for the first time and he loved it!

I have already posted a video and photos a year ago showing Lukey's first time sailing. As the only other person in the boat for this milestone, I can tell you that Lukey was excited and proud of himself.

Lukey and I sailed quite a bit until Uncle Adam arrived... on leave from the Air Force. After Uncle Adam arrived at the lake, he stepped up and gave me a little break from being the tireless skipper and sailing instructor (thankfully).

During Lukey's second week of sailing, he started sailing with Uncle Adam when the lake was suitable for a very young beginner. We had a lot of heavy gusting and changing wind so conditions were not ripe for beginners all the time. When the weather was suitable for fast and wet sailing, Uncle Adam went out solo as Lukey enviously watched from shore. When the wind and lake conditions were on the calmer side, Uncle Adam gladly brought Lukey out sailing.

I happened to record some video of the last time that Lukey sailed with Uncle Adam. I also captured quite a few nice photos (some shown here) which, I feel, are much nicer than this video I've inserted below. Regardless, the video is nice and I'm sure Lukey will enjoy seeing it.

I can't begin to tell you the problems I've had editing this video. The light was changing constantly... the brightness changed due to fast moving clouds... and, most importantly and most problematic, the color of the light shifted significantly from having a green hue to being warm to having a blue hue. As a result, I could not figure out how to effectively balance the light in the color version (I'm still a video student so I may figure out how to remedy this problem in the future... for now, I know not to shoot video using 'auto-white balance'). The sun was behind the sailboat for part of this short video so that introduced more problems. I eventually settled on just converting the color HD video footage to black and white.

All in all, Lukey had a great time sailing last year and I know he is looking forward to more sailing this summer!






Comments