Videography Coursework

Wow... The software programs I am trying to learn for my videography coursework are insanely complex layered with features buried within features. I wouldn't say I am overwhelmed but I am left feeling like I am starting this coursework knowing absolutely nothing about video production. I'm not lost... I'm not overwhelmed... but... I guess I am frustrated by the workflow and lack of logical placement of tools and features. So, I guess I am a bit lost.

My focus for the past day or so has been on learning how to effectively use Davinci Resolve 12 for color grading. I haven't even gotten to actually adjusting colors the way I would like with this program just yet. I'm still trying to figure out how to use each of the program's features. So far, I'm not too impressed with this program... it is reminding me of some photography RAW conversion software programs that I dislike so much that I refuse to use them (so I use others instead). We'll see if it grows on me or if I find it more useful to do my color grading in ColorDirector.

During the night (while my health had me up half the night), I learned about more specific camera settings for video as well as which file formats to use. These things are getting clearer in my head. 

I already knew how to set most of the camera settings but I learned how to set up my cameras to get the most dynamic range for video and how to set some good base settings to allow for the most leeway in video production. This is definitely quite different than using the cameras for still photography.

File formats... some software works with some file formats, other software works with different file formats... so, I spent some time learning about the different formats and practicing converting video clips to appropriate formats trying to avoid introducing noticeable compression artifacts. Whether I'll remember what I need to do is another story!

Davinci Resolve 12 in some ways is quite basic but the interface is so different from any other video editing programs I've ever used before so I am completely lost within this program. It is different, that's for sure. We'll see how it goes...

One step at a time... 
Getting familiar with Davinci Resolve 12's 'Color Panel' for color grading. 



Comments