Food Prep Morning

Since the weather has not been all that conducive to working outdoors this morning (we actually got some snow in the mountains... yes, it is June and we got some snow!), I decided to stay indoors and do some food prep for our next few weeks.  
Homemade Italian salad dressing.

Over the years, I've been adapting my own recipe for Italian salad dressing. This was first up this morning after a quick trip to our local grossly overpriced supermarket. I threw all the ingredients together... tasted it... added a little of this and a little more of that... tasted it again... now that is done for the next few weeks. 

In the past, I always made my salsa in a big batch and put it in a big bowl. That is okay for parties when everyone is gathered around one big table but the big bowl doesn't work too well for smaller groups. We've found that in one single big bowl, the salsa gets "old" far too quickly. This time, we decided to give canning jars a whirl in an attempt to keep it fresher longer. 

So, the next thing I made is a blender-full of salsa. I was thinking this would fill eight jars so I cleaned eight jars to be prepared... unfortunately, it only filled six jars. For some reason, it seems like it is far too small of a batch in these six jars! It looks like it is a lot more when it is in one big bowl.

After I pulse-blended it, I pulled out a few tostada chips for a quick taste test... wow... this stuff is so good that I kept pulling out more chips to taste test... ate some more... tasted some more... mmmmm, good.... maybe this is why this batch seems small?
Six jars of homemade salsa.

I can't find ready-made tortilla chips that I like... and, we've tried them all and then some! 

In desperation, I bought a stack of corn tostadas last year... I figured we could just break these big tostadas into smaller pieces... they had the consistency I was looking for in my chips... so we tried them... this was far better than any packaged tortilla chips! 

Better yet, when we put them in the oven to warm them up and then put some salt on them... delicious! The only thing I can think of which would be better would be to make my own.  

I was hoping that this batch of homemade salsa would last for the next few weeks but I'd be surprised if it lasts a week. We'll see...


Comments