A Beaver, A Loon And A Sunset

While I wait for some paint to dry so I can apply another coat of paint, I thought I would write a little bit about some photos I shot recently.

I was out on our dock one morning and I noticed this tiny wake about one hundred yards away... I grabbed the camera that had the longest lens mounted on it...  zoomed... I quickly confirmed it was a beaver. I was hoping to get a tail slap and a big splash but that never came. He just swam around for a little while and then quietly slipped underwater. I just wish he was a little closer to the house so I could have gotten a slightly better shot....


It was early one morning... one of those rare mornings at the lake with no fog and no clouds... over in a darkened corner to the left of our house, about one hundred yards away, I noticed a loon. He was alone and just paddling around in the dark shadows of early morning. I kept my camera focused on him... it was too dark for a shot though... a black and white loon in black shadows would have made for a dark photo of dark shadows. I waited... and waited... I kept him in my viewfinder and at a guess of the correct exposure... then, ever so briefly, he popped into a ray of sunshine... the sun was low and warm and lit him up very briefly before he swam into the shadows again...


This next shot is a shot at sunset during the "golden hour" which is loved by photographers for providing soft, warm color tones. This is Owl's Head Mountain... the same mountain we climbed with the grandchildren, Liza and Lizzie a few weeks ago. I really like the simplicity of this composition... and the color... and even the detail in the silhouetted trees...


Now I better go clean some brushes so I can start painting again....


Comments