Golf, Some Rain, and Sunday Dinner


We had a really nice weekend and had an especially nice Sunday dinner with the grandchildren, Liza, and Sheila's parents, Will and Sue!

Lukey arrived at the house with a golf club in hand which immediately reminded me of creating golf courses when I was a kid myself. We kept the course design simple on this day, however. 

First, we dug one single hole, inserted a cup, and then we figured out where to place five different tee off areas... one straight-on... one off to the side... one which we called "down in the hole" which placed the tee off area lower than the green... one which was off to the side of "down in the hole" requiring chipping around tall brush and foliage... and one which required chipping over our firepit. 

We took a little break for lunch... cheese quesadillas, tomato soup, apple sauce and berry jello for the kids... some leftover fried okra for me... and a cherry tomato medley salad for Gee... then back outside to play more golf.


Trying to avoid the sand trap...
By the end of the afternoon, I think Lukey and I played around 50 holes of golf. My back was killing me! (And, still is... I'm walking around like a very old man today!)

Kenzie and Gee played with some baby dolls... Kenzie even cleaned house in her big dollhouse (I was shocked when I saw it all clean and staightened)... then Kenzie came outside to water the flowerbeds. Shortly afterward, Will and Sue arrived which allowed me to break away from the kids to finish preparing dinner.

We never got to have the big family dinner we had planned while Adam was here on leave so I had two full racks of ribs that needed to be cooked. I slow roasted the ribs... dry rubbed... then finished on the grill, hickory smoked and flame-broiled with barbeque sauce. (At this point, it was pouring rain outside so I grilled in the pouring rain... fun times... I really need to get that covered bbq/kitchen area finished!) I quickly broiled some cherry tomatoes and broccoli with fresh garlic and olive oil... I made a big bowl of cole slaw which is my own recipe and one which is more on the sweet side (maple and brown sugar) than vinegar side (although, there is some apple cider vinegar in it)... and, I handcut some potatoes to fry up as some chunky french fries. I have to say it was delicious and I'm looking forward to eating some of the leftovers for lunch today!

Lukey squeezed in some time playing with his train set... first with his very smooth and quiet locomotive... then with my Dreyfuss Hudson steam locomotive... then with my F3 diesel locomotive. Lukey's locomotive has no sound so he prefers playing with my locomotives... I can't say I blame him!

Once dinner was cleaned up, it was dessert time... Lukey had an ice cream cone for dessert... Kenzie attacked the box of donuts leftover from our morning breakfast... all while mommy worked on homework. Messy dessert lead to bathtime before we called it a day.

All in all, it was a really nice day!

The "down in the hole" tee off area...







The gymnast getting in some practice time...

And the dismount...








My maple cole slaw... handcut french fries... slow roasted and grilled Kansas City-style
ribs... and a tomato and broccoli salad... it was delicious!

Senor Dunkin'... getting a bit animated...

"What do you mean I have a chocolate mustache?... I don't believe you!"




Comments