Always Some New Lake Photos

I've really been slacking on sharing photos from the lake. I'm even further behind in editing and sharing video but that is a whole other story. Since I have hundreds of photos from this year alone, there are always new lake photos to share.

Recently, I pulled out a few interesting photos.

In this first shot, this loon was way out there on the lake. The lake is almost a half mile across to the opposite shore and this loon was much closer to the other side of the lake than our side of the lake. 

I was on our dock at the shore... it was early morning and the bugs were feasting on me... you can faintly see the remnants of morning fog closer to the shore across the lake. The lake was flat, calm and quiet... I steadied myself against a post like a village drunkard leaning on a lamp post... slowed my breathing, focused... then I saw this distant scene more clearly in my viewfinder. 

A boat had just passed this loon and the wake created by the boat was reflecting the vibrant blue sky in a sea of reflected green foliage... "hmmmm... now that is different." I held my breath to avoid shaking the camera... and I ever-so-carefully pressed the shutter release button...



This pair of loons, below, was a bit closer to the house than the loon in the above photo but they were still a safe 200 feet or so away. Again, like above, it was early morning... flat, calm, quiet lake... tons of bugs feeding on me as I tried to remain as still as possible. I again found a post to lean against to steady myself... 

Before I even put the camera's viewfinder to my eye, I could already see that this pair of loons was searching for breakfast... they alternated putting their heads underwater looking for fish while the other kept a lookout for predators. As I focused on them, the low morning light was causing the ring on their necks to appear an iridescent green... sometimes that ring will appear black, sometimes green, sometimes blue. At this angle, this morning, I saw a green ring... I held my breath and carefully depressed the shutter release button...



Usually, when shooting sunsets, I'm using one of my widest lenses so I can capture a wide, expansive portion of the colorful sky. Sometimes, however, I see some nice light in one small section of that sunset scene so I'll pick up a longer telephoto lens so I can zoom in on that one section. 

In this case, below, right where the sky was transitioning from daytime blue to dusk golden yellow, I noticed the golden light illuminating the treetops on the darkened northern end of the lake. 

I already had a 90-400mm lens on a small Panasonic camera body in case some wildlife passed by so I grabbed that... dropped to a knee... rested the camera on the railing of the deck... focused... adjusted my aperture for some nice sharpness... and, I captured a sunset shot a little differently than the "standard" sunset photo...


Considering the amount of photos I shoot, there are always some new photos to share. Today we revisited some really nice photos from the lake house early this past summer.

Tomorrow...  who knows what I'll be sharing here...



Comments