Hot Weather and Crappy Health

The temperature was hovering around 90 degrees today and that is far too hot for my health. The nights have been beautiful with temperatures in the upper 40s to low 50s but it looks like this week will be a hot one when the sun is up!

I had a fairly productive morning while it was still cool. I finished up another step in one of my model railroading projects. Then I decided to head outside with a camera in hand.

I had decided to play with one of my oldest digital cameras... an Olympus digital SLR camera with a crisp, colorful, and contrasty Kodak sensor. Unfortunately, I needed to dig out a battery for it and that little bit of activity not only wore me down a little but it also raised my body temperature. At this point of the day, the temperature outdoors was in the upper 80s which isn't too good for me without extra medications... and I had not taken any extra medications... and now I raised my body temperature and wore myself out a little bit too. This is not a good combination. 

Regardless of my deteriorating health, I still wandered outdoors with my camera in hand hoping to get a few nice photographs. 

Well... I don't think I was thinking too clearly at this point. Not thinking clearly is a common problem for those of us struggling with Systemic Mastocytosis... especially in hot climates. Since I wasn't thinking clearly, I screwed up by not keeping an eye on my shutter speed and almost all of the 50 photos I shot were motion blurred.  What a waste of time and energy.

It is around 11pm now... it is much cooler outdoors now... I've had three more doses of medications since my little photography session this morning... and I'm still feeling rather lousy. I'm weak... I'm dizzy... I fatigued... I'm still having a little difficulty breathing... and I just generally feel lousy. 

On the positive side, of the 50 or so photographs I shot this morning, I did manage to capture two or three fairly crisp photos by accident... I'll insert them below.

This camera from 2005 has no image stabilization so I know that I must keep a close eye on my shutter speed... I need to always ensure it is at least as fast as 1/focal length... preferably faster... I don't remember even thinking about my shutter speed even once this morning! That was a major screw up. It turns out that my shutter speed was in the 1/200th range when it should have been in the 1/600 to 1/1250 range!

When I start to struggle with my health, my hands get very shaky too. Shaky hands only compound this motion blurring issue. This was another screw up. 

Maybe I'll head out again tomorrow at some point to shoot some photos with this camera again...  well...  depending upon how I feel...

Anyway...  even these three photos, below, aren't perfect. They are not as crisp as I would like... but the remaining 47 or so shots are so motion blurred they look like indoor cellphone shots people share and "like" on Facebook! It actually turns my stomach when I shoot so poorly and carelessly.





Comments