Another Weekend Excursion


Another one of our annual excursions crept up on us again this past weekend and we found ourselves in southern Vermont for a train show.

Throughout the year, we attend various events around the northeast. Every fall, we attend a train show in southern Vermont. This particular train show is so small that it isn't even the main purpose of this annual weekend getaway. It is a good reason to get out of town but it takes up so little of our time that it is hard to call it a train show weekend! What I can say about this annual excursion is that we enjoy traveling through the fall foliage, visiting other restaurants, visiting stores we don't get to normally visit and it's nice to simply get out of the house for a bit. 

My health keeps me close to home almost every day so it is nice to get out from under this roof every now and then... really nice. We actually try to get out of the house for a few hours every weekend but it rarely works out... between things needing to get accomplished around the house and my health, it takes quite a bit of planning and preparing to be able to get away for a day nevermind a weekend. This is one of those weekends we plan and prepare for though. 

It was a dreary, overcast weekend so things were rather drab but the foliage was nice nonethless. Between the dreary, sunless day (which means less than ideal lighting conditions), mediocre foliage, a fast moving car, and leaves blowing in stiff winds, it was difficult capturing crisp shots but I managed to capture a few decent shots through the car window as we zipped along.

We missed a turn so we accidentally took a different route back home. As a result, the scenery turned out to be a little different for us on the way back home. If I had more energy and we had more time, I probably would have insisted we stop at a few places for me to shoot better landscape photos. I don't know why, but I just was not impressed with anything I was seeing so we just kept moving and headed for home... and, I was exhausted anyway.

The train show was nice... nothing to write home about though. We really get spoiled every year at the Amherst Railway Society's big show every January so no other show can compete with that. It was fun though. I didn't come across anything worth purchasing so at least I didn't spent any money! Now I have a little more spending money for the Amherst Railway Society's big show in January!

There is another local show in early November and then a different local show in early December... maybe we'll take the grandkids to one of those shows. 

As always, no matter where we go on our weekend excursions, we have a good time and this weekend was no different. Actually, truth be told, I wish I had the energy to do this more often!

Until the next weekend get-away...







Almost a bit of a self-portrait...








Comments