A Few Lake Photos

Not much has been getting accomplished on the house lately. My health and the weather are not cooperating with each other in the least. I've been feeling absolutely miserable on some rare beautiful weather days and I've been feeling halfway decent on some rainy days... and, even if I were healthy, we've had a lot of rainy days this summer so getting much accomplished on the house would be difficult anyway. Regardless, I'm not too pleased with how little I've accomplished and how much it affects my health. At some point, I need to feel very well on a few very nice days!

In the meantime, I'm trying to keep busy in the house. Most of my down time has been spent sketching plans for various projects around the house, researching building products, and even sitting at the piano whenever I'm feeling up to it. This evening, however, I decided to sift through some of my latest photos to see if I could find anything interesting.

The first photo that captured my attention was one that I shot of Sheila while we were kayaking down around the south end of the lake. I could shoot photos of Sheila all day long...


This next photo was shot early in the morning when the air is crisp and the biting flies are thick in the air. This particular morning, I happened to catch a loon snoozing on the lake. Usually, when loons sleep, they have their head tucked back next to or under their wing but this loon was just sitting still in the water with his head up and eyes closed. After a while, I began to wonder if maybe this loon lost his eye in a fight but, as you can see in the next photo, he eventually opened his eyes. 

I've always wanted the opportunity to capture a nice photo of a loon with his head tucked under his wing... early morning... placid lake... low sun... the first rays of sunshine illuminating the loon... I got close this year!


I've shared a few photos lately of Bald Eagles but that doesn't mean I like these nasty birds. The Bald Eagles have been a problem for our loons and that was very noticeable on the lake this summer. On the positive side, the scared and agitated loons always alerted me to when a Bald Eagle was approaching! 

Although I don't particularly care for these birds, I was excited about the opportunity to test my photography skills in capturing decent photos of one of these rare birds of prey in flight. I didn't use a tripod... I often had nothing to steady myself against... sometimes I was even in an unsteady kayak... trying my best to keep a very long and rather heavy lens trained on a fast moving Bald Eagle in flight while trying to attain perfect focus. 

Capturing a photo of a bird in flight is always the goal of photographers rather than capturing a photo of a bird perched in a tree. Most wildlife photographers don't even bother with birds perched in trees unless there is something interesting going on such as interesting light and being in the perfect position. The funny thing is that I never did see any of these Bald Eagles perched in trees. I only saw them looking for a meal of live prey.

I'm happy to have come away from the experience with some decent shots! I suppose that years of practice has paid off!



Comments