Another Dip in Health

I have already written about my health crashing due to hot, humid weather over the past week but I haven't really written about the early part of the weekend. On the positive side, I think I am finally beyond this latest bout of poor health. Time will tell.

Thursday, Friday and Saturday were rather lousy. Well, actually, the whole week was rather lousy but Thursday, Friday and Saturday were quite rough with some dangerously lousy health.

I was overwhelmingly exhausted. I could have fallen asleep only a moment after deciding to allow myself to fall asleep at any time during the day. I was fighting staying awake all week long. This should have been my first clue that I was teetering on the brink of anaphylaxis with very low blood pressure... I didn't realize it yet though.

I was having difficulty breathing at times. I often have difficulty breathing especially when the weather is hot like it was this past week so I was not associating this symptom with the fatigue. I should have but I probably wasn't thinking clearly either which is yet another symptom. 

I was getting very sudden but very brief dizzy spells. The dizzy spell would be strong enough for me to notice my world spin briefly but then it would suddenly be gone. Since these dizzy spells were so instantaneous, I still didn't connect the dots that this was also my body fighting off anaphylaxis. I should have connected the dots but I assume I really was not thinking clearly.

My vision was narrowing whenever I walked even ten feet. When the narrowing vision presented itself with one of the dizzy spells, I finally connected the dots and knew this was a classic part of anaphylaxis and that it is time to throw a bunch of extra medications at my health. 

I was experiencing intestinal cramps and pains, nausea and bouts of diarrhea. 

I was experiencing bone pain all through my body... my spine was inflamed... my legs were aching... my ribs were aching... my arms hurt... my feet hurt... it was a deep pain in my bones. My bones actually hurt to the touch in various places.

Thursday was a day of rather poor health but I hadn't connected the dots yet. I don't know why... Perhaps I was more focused on Sheila's Radiation Oncology appointment at the hospital that day. I do, however, remember that while I was in the waiting room I was thinking, "wow... I am exhausted... I could fall asleep in a second if I let myself." Yet, I wasn't connecting the dots yet.

On Friday, once I realized that I was teetering on the brink of anaphylaxis, I started throwing epinephrine at it... and extra H1 blockers... and extra H2 blockers... and extra mast cell stabilizers at it.  

Later in the day on Friday, I realized that this still wasn't enough medications to stabilize my health so I increased the dosages of all these extra medications (in addition to continuing my usual four doses of about a dozen medications). To make a long story short, by Sunday morning I was feeling more like myself again. 

Since I was feeling halfway decent again, I was hungry and decided to make some meatballs and baked ziti for dinner. It was delicious and definitely hit the spot.

My spine is still quite inflamed this morning but I plan to do some of my daily physical therapy this morning. Hopefully that will help without triggering more problematic symptoms. 

Now... what shall I do today?


Comments