The Groton Bald Eagles

I was sifting through some of my photos from this past summer and came across a few worth writing about and sharing here.

As I've written before, we have two new residents at Lake Groton disrupting life on the lake... a pair of Bald Eagles. I knew I wanted to capture a few decent photos of these birds in flight. Anyone can go to a zoo to shoot a photo of a Bald Eagle sitting on the limb of a tree so I wanted to test my photography skills by capturing a few decent photos of this pair of eagles in flight.

This first one is a little bit unusual in that the Bald Eagle is in silhouette against a cloudy sky. The eagle is flying from the darkened clouds to the light and clearer sky. I like the light in this photo and I actually like that silhouette...



This next shot is a photo of one of the Bald Eagles circling over my head while looking for some prey. All the wildlife on the lake becomes silent and goes into hiding whenever either of these two Bald Eagles is flying within a mile. I really like the tiny reflection of the sun on the eagle's beak in this photo (you might need to click on the photo to enlarge it to see the reflection)...



I think I already posted a similar photo to this photo, below, in my blog a few months ago. I have a few photos of this Bald Eagle flying like this... wings spread but with its wingtips ruffled as he slows while looking for prey below. It looks as though he is about to dive through the clouds toward the lake below...




This particular summer, I think I actually captured more photos of Bald Eagles than loons. Part of this is due to the loons spending so much time hiding from the Bald Eagles. After shooting both loons and Bald Eagles this summer, I can honestly say that I feel the loons are more difficult to photograph because they do more diving, swimming underwater, darting and changing direction for avoidance tactics, and they fly very fast. I've captured a few really nice photos of loons over the years but I'm still after that one great shot. This year, my focus and attention was more on the sky searching for Bald Eagles and I'm fairly happy with the photos I've captured.


Comments