Sony Bravia 4K HDR Television

Back in early December, we bought ourselves an early Christmas present... a new Sony Bravia 4K HDR television for our living room. 

As most of you already know, I am a big fan of Sony products and we have many. We already had a Sony Bravia television but it was rather small for our living room and only "HD" in resolution ("HD" as in 720p...  not even 1080 Full HD). It was time for a much needed upgrade since there is such a tremendous difference between 4K and Full HD... and our resolution was even lower at 720p HD!

Early December was a busy time for us... Sheila's cancer treatment and recovery, Liza's wedding, Christmas fast approaching, etc... so I made a quick swap with the televisions. I pulled out the old television and quickly hung the new, larger, better 4K HDR television. Everything seemed to be working fine and the picture was far better so I just left it all as is.

Well... I must admit that I did slightly adjust the picture settings to get away from the over-saturated colors and blown out highlights but, other than that, I left our whole entertainment setup as it was before. 

So, yesterday, I was messing around with a browser on this new television and noticed that I couldn't fit the browser on the screen...  "what?"  This is a 4K UHD HDR television so I should be able to fit any browser screen on it... "what the heck is going on here?"

I instantly checked our FireTV's display settings... it was set on only 1080 Full HD, not 4K. I attempted to change it to one of the higher 4K resolutions... nope, it would not work... tried the other 4K resolution... nope, it wouldn't work. Hmmmm....


The old non-4K Yamaha receiver.
After a little bit of thinking, I realized that the bottleneck that was cutting and limiting the resolution going to the television was probably my Yamaha Home Theatre surround sound receiver since that was the oldest component and all the peripherals go through it before going to the television. Sure enough, I found that this older Yamaha receiver could only pass-thru Full HD signals (1080). That was the bottleneck and my limiting factor.

I did a bit of research and found that the best way to resolve this problem was to upgrade my surround sound system to one that can pass-thru 4K HDR signals. I found a new Yamaha receiver that I could simply swap out while still using my current speakers but I have to say that all those wireless sound bars we recently played with and heard in our local electronics store were really nice... so I searched for some new soundbars capable of handling 4K HDR signals.

Through my research, I also found out that all HDMI cables are not the same. In order to display 4K HDR, I would need better HDMI cables too.  

After a night of research, I chose a new high quality Sony soundbar with a wireless sub-woofer and ordered it this morning. 

In the meantime, I disconnected our FireTV console from the old Yamaha receiver and connected it directly to one of the HDMI ports on the television... WOW! Now it was crisp and clear!

We're definitely looking forward to removing a lot of wires, speakers and clutter while retaining surround sound quality. I'll write more when I get the install the new system...


Comments