Garden Window Update


I've moved on to the second phase (and unplanned phase) of our garden window project by working on refinishing the window sashes for this window. 

Our homebuilt garden window has a couple of removable window sashes that we can insert into the frame for colder weather. In the warmer months, I will leave the sashes out (as seen in the photo to the right) so the view is wide open with no obstructions.

These sashes were in pretty lousy shape. It seemed silly to design and build this nice new garden window and then just install the same old worn-out sashes when the weather cools down and during the longer part of the year when we need extra insulation. I've been experiencing this throughout our renovations... you know... when you make a clean spot, everything else that didn't look so badly before you made a clean spot suddenly appears horrendous... I needed to do something about these window sashes. 

I also needed to replace the window sill... something else I hadn't planned on doing when I started this project. The window sill takes a beating between splashes from the kitchen sink just below it and grease from the stovetop nearby so it was in terrible shape. I will be renovating the kitchen soon (assuming no more heatlh catastrophes in the family that will put everything on hold again) so I had planned to leave some of this window project for later when we renovate the kitchen. After making this nice new, clean, sparkly, white garden window, I needed to replace the window sill too.

I had some luck here though! I had a piece of leftover 1x4 that was an odd size sitting in the hallway right outside the kitchen. It was leftover from another project. It appeared to be about the size I needed for this window sill. I brought it into the kitchen... placed it up on the existing window sill... it was the perfect size! I didn't even need to cut it at all! I just removed the old sill and slipped this new piece of wood into place... screwed it in... stained it... a few coats of spar polyurethane... and it is as good as new. 

The most time consuming part of this entire garden window project as been the finish work. Staining and finishing requires many coats over the course of many days. This is tedious work that seems to take forever! 

When I install the refinished window sashes, I'll shoot a few more photos of them installed. Of course, I won't actually install them until the weather turns colder and who knows when that will be? It is still far too hot and humid here! 

This garden window is a tremendous improvement!


Comments