A New Armchair

This past weekend, Sheila and I finally got out of the house and managed to do some much-needed shopping.  This was the first time we were out and about since before our cross-country trip well over a month ago.  What held us back, mostly, has been my health...  between the flu and the associated impact on my primary health problems, I was stuck at home and mostly slept so that kept us at home. 

Needless to say, we were in fairly desperate need of some grocery shopping as well as personal hygiene items so those two things were our priority.  I have to say that it was nice to be out of the house though!  Sheila and I went to lunch too and had a much-needed tasty lunch.  

Sheila wanted to run through a car wash since it was nice out for a change so we did that and then headed back toward some shopping in Williston.  As we were passing Ashley Furniture, I quickly told Sheila to "pull in here".  As she was pulling into the shopping center, I mentioned that perhaps we should do a little furniture shopping since we are finally out of the house and I was feeling better than I have in about a month.  I wasn't feeling great but I was well enough to be out and about.

We've been looking for a small armchair for our living room but, until now, have had absolutely no luck in finding one that would easily fit in our diminutive living room.  We immediately asked a salesman to show us what he had in smaller sized reclining armchairs.  Naturally, he immediately showed us an ugly Lazy-Boy styled monstrosity.  I think my response was "Ugggg..." with a little chuckle.  The only thing uglier than a standard Lazy-Boy recliner is a modern, contemporary recliner that looks better suited for a barber shop or dentist's office.  I made it clear to the salesman that Lazy-Boy type recliners were not what we wanted because...  well...  they are just plain hideous.   

Anyway, we need stylish yet smaller-than-average furniture for our home and I can tell you with absolute certainty that finding smaller-than-average furniture is like finding a needle in a haystack. Finding stylish smaller-than-average furniture is even more difficult!

After having a salesman show us his recommendations, we walked through the store and narrowed our choices down to four armchairs...  a comfortable traditional armchair that swivels and came with a large ottoman which was large but comfortable, a Stickley Mission Reclining chair that would fit our style perfectly but had a pretty large footprint and would be difficult to move around when necessary, a colorful traditional armchair that also was a bit too large for our living room, and a far smaller armchair upholstered with tufted distressed leather.  Size has always been our limiting factor so we needed to stick with the smallest of the chairs.... 





The new chair arrived today and it seems to fit into our living room perfectly.  Now we are on a search for a very small appropriately-styled ottoman.  Sheila and I have narrowed our search down to three options...  we'll see what we decide in the coming days....


Comments