A Small Bit of Progress

I am now two weeks into this mild TBI...   two weeks ago I slammed the top of my head into a temporary cross-beam on a trash shed I am building, saw stars, passed out very briefly...  and I am now feeling a bit better than early after the injury.  I really haven't done much of anything over the past two weeks though.  Whenever I attempt to do anything, my headaches grow increasingly worse, sometimes throbbing, and behind my right ear begins to hurt.  I've been good about stopping whatever I'm attempting to do whenever the pain comes back or worsens. 

Yesterday, I was feeling pretty good and the weather was dry.  It was hot and humid, but dry.  I knew the lawn needed some attention so I figured I would do that slowly.  Well, one thing led to another and before I knew it, I had my woodworking shop set up in the yard and I was finally doing some work on the trash shed again. 

The heat and humidity was really affecting my mast cell disease which is my primary illness and most debilitating thing so I was taking a lot of breaks to cool down in cold water.  I'd head inside and wash my face and whole head in cold water until I felt better.  When my body gets warm, a cascade of symptoms toward anaphylaxis begins so it is important that I keep as cool as possible.  This periodic cooling down under cold water has been the most effective tool for me lately.  

It wasn't long before the headache returned and behind my right ear was really hurting.  My ear felt like it was twice its normal size even though it wasn't swollen.  I knew I needed to call it a day.  At this point, my ear was beginning to go numb but the pain behind my right ear was far worse.  I headed back indoors, cooled down under cold water, drank more, and then headed outside to clean up.  

It was a fairly productive day although quite brutal.  Progress on about ten projects I have going at once has been agonizingly slow.  Some days my health will allow some light work on a small project so I continue with a small project.  Other days, I am feeling even better and can attack a more strenuous project so I get some work accomplished on bigger projects.  Other days, nothing gets done (most days) especially the past two weeks.

It is a dark and overcast day today so I am indoors.  On the positive side, cooling down through the night and resting has helped and I am feeling halfway decently today.  My head hurts a bit but perhaps the least it has hurt since two weeks ago.  

Here are a few photos from yesterday evening...  I finished building three sides of the trash shed and installed the roof rafters...  


Sheila and I did some gardening recently.  Our wildflower gardens seem to be non-existent this year.  Two flowerbeds produced absolutely nothing but a few weeds so we are planting different plants (different and far more expensive plants), little by little.  






Comments