Pipe Mounts Almost Completed

In between projects, when I have a little bit of time and I'm feeling fairly well, I always go back to some unfinished little projects.  Sometimes the weather interrupts a project.  Sometimes my health interrupts a project.  Sometimes other more important projects get bumped up in priority.  In time, I always get these little projects accomplished.  My health may require a lot more time than healthy people require but I always seem to eventually finish these projects.

One of these projects that seems to be an on-going project is making a couple of homemade telescope mounts.  These two adaptable mounts are not 100% completed just yet but they are close.  They are close enough to being complete that I was able to test them a few days ago.  That was a nice feeling!

I designed and built two types of mounts...  an equatorial mount (shown in this first photo, below) and an altitude-azimuth mount (shown down lower in the photos).   I have a very lightweight telescope mounted on the mount in this first photo so I used a short counterweight bar.  For heavier loads, I have a longer chrome counterweight bar.  I also have a lot more weight to use, if necessary.


I needed an effective way to clamp any of my telescopes to these mounts.  I designed and built a few wood (hardwood) mating plates to go between my mount and the saddle clamps I chose for these mounts.  This first photo shows the backside of these wooden plates with t-nuts for screwing down the Vixen saddle clamps...


The tops of these wooden plates were beveled on two edges...  this particular design sort of evolved as I was cutting and sanding these plates.


Here is one of the Vixen saddle clamps on the equatorial mount...




The mounts are secured to the pier using a 10mm x 100mm stainless bolt with a large knob screwed up from underneath....




Here is the altitude-azimuth mount...  telescope on one end and counterweights on the opposite end.  The black knobs on these mounts are for tension and locking the mount in place.  There is a small piece of leather on the end of each of those locking bolts.  The leather keeps the tension/locking bolt from damaging the threads.  



I can remove the counterweights and the counterweight shaft from the altitude-azimuth mount and add a second saddle clamp.  In this photo, below, I have two telescopes mounted and the mount still seemed to move smoothly and surely while also providing stability.  


The only problem I encountered is that the mounts didn't mount perfectly to the pier.  There was still some slop so I designed a little hardwood donut to mount on the bottom of each of the telescope mounts.  This donut will mount perfectly to the telescope pier which will eliminate the slop.  I was waiting on some forstner drill bits to finish fabricating this part so this is all I have left to do on this project.  



Comments