Temporary Supports Removed

The sky cleared up today and we haven't had any rain falling from the sky so I headed outside to see if I could accomplish something with one of the larger projects on my To-Do list.  I had previously cut all the supports necessary for the outdoor kitchen roof structure so I decided it was time to install those supports so I could remove the temporary supports.

So, now I have clear headroom when I walk into this little kitchen area.  (As a sidenote...  I wore my new ball-cap hard hat today...  good thing because I slammed my head about eight times today while I was installing the collar beams.  My mild-TBI headache is back but I'm certain that it would have been far worse if I wasn't wearing the new hard hat.)


Every support that I added today was both glued and bolted.  I bolted everything with 3/8" galvanized bolts.  This support, below, forms a nice stiff triangle of support keeping the column upright...


This is the same type of support on the opposite column....


Glued and bolted with 3/8" galvanized bolts, washers and nuts...



The next two images show these engineering triangles from straight-on.  The triangle shape will keep everything stable and supported...




In this last photo, you can see all the collar beams glued and bolted into place.  If I remember correctly, these collar beams are at 6'-7" which is more than enough clearance for me.  These collar beams will help to keep the roof from collapsing under the weight of feet upon feet of snow in winter...


Next, I'll add purlins to screw down the metal roofing panels.  Then, I need to stain the entire structure which is the part that I really hate doing.  There is too much upside-down staining when staining a roof structure which causes a tremendous mess.  It should only take a couple of hours though.  

Once the roof is completed, I can work on cabinets, countertop, electrical and plumbing.  These finishing touches are pretty easy compared to building this roof structure though.  

This rainy weather is really slowing me down though.  Plus, we have a clothes dryer issue right now.  The rainy weather isn't helping that situation at all.  We hang clothes outside to dry and they get rained on, and rained on and rained on again.  We probably won't have our new dryer for a few more weeks.  






Comments