Astronomy Cases

The weather has been lousy this week so I've been indoors.  As luck would have it, for a change, my health is also lousy as I continue to rebound from the side-effects of my last Shingles vaccine so not much has been lost solely due to the lousy weather this time around.  I'd be stuck inside anyway due to my poor health.  It's worth noting that it is rare when the weather and my health are in sync like this!  Regardless of the lousy weather and lousy health, I have managed to do some much needed organization of astronomy gear a little bit each day over the past couple of mornings.  I'd do a little bit...  take a break...  do a bit more...  take another break...  go back to it the following morning...  take a break...  etc.  

My first priority was to find and purchase a couple of heavy duty cases for two of my mount heads.  I purchased a large sized case for my smaller mount head and an extra large case for the larger, heavier mount head.  I had also ordered some closed cell foam to use as a cushion inside the case.  I carefully cut it the foam to cradle whatever pieces I want to store inside these cases.  

Here are the two mount heads in their new cases... 


This one is the big, heavy one...


This is one of my eyepiece sets...  I still need one more eyepiece to fill out this high quality eyepiece set and that last eyepiece will go on the top left after I cut another hole for it...


This is a case holding my finder scopes and guide scopes...


This case, below, is for filters, diagonals, barlows and field flatteners.  I plan to purchase one more field flattener and I might purchase another barlow but both of those should fit in here.  And, I have a little more room for some extra filters on the right...


This is a little zippered travel case that I converted for use to store and transport a small eyepiece set.  I have a small telescope that can be used as a "portable" scope and this small set of eyepieces would work just fine for staying lightweight and portable.    


And this is the zippered case all zipped up and ready to go...  


I still need at least two more cases for various other odds and ends.  One case would be for electronic hand controllers, cables and associated stuff.  The other would be for extra bits and pieces for adapting various parts to fit each other.  

Actually, looking at my list here on my desk of astronomy gear I still need to organize, I could also use another case to store solar astronomy filters and accessories.  So, I guess I need three more cases.

I should figure out a way to label these cases too since three are already identical and the next three I purchase will be identical to those first three.  Maybe luggage tags would work best.

Ugg...  and I just remembered that I could probably use another case solely for astrophotography cameras and imaging accessories...  that means I still need to purchase four more cases and more closed cell foam.  


POST EDIT:  October 14, 2019 - I decided against purchasing any more cases for now.  The remaining parts and pieces that require some storage would probably be better in drawers rather than these types of cases so I ordered a rolling cart with drawers for the remainder of what needs to be neatly stored.  If this rolling cart with drawers works out well, I'll purchase a second one for neatly storing all my microscope parts and pieces.


Comments