Nighttime at Bonfire

I had previously written about Kenzie taking over photographer duties for me at a family bonfire event.  Later in the evening, I grabbed my camera and picked up where Kenzie left off.

As the sun went down, it got colder and darker.  Kenzie was now having difficulty capturing people without motion blurring so badly that you can't identify the people in the shots so it was my turn to be the photographer.  She did an awesome job during the daylight hours though and that gave me a nice break!  

As expected, Kenzie fluidly switched gears and focused more on S'mores and sparklers.


We were in the yard out beyond the fairly new solar panels.  It was a good day for solar energy!


We roasted hot dogs over the fire for dinner.  I brought along some bacon, shredded lettuce, chopped tomato and homemade maple honey mustard for some BLT Hot Dogs for anyone who wanted to try one.  Mmmm...  I could go for one now!






It was definitely getting colder out at this point.  Will continued to build the fire larger and hotter to keep everyone warm.  It was so cold by the time we called it a night that the hose was frozen!





Long exposure sparkler time!  We had hoped the kids were capable of writing out words in the air now but that didn't work well.  It is hard enough to get them to write on lines on paper.  Writing small words in the air with no guidelines was still a bit beyond their capabilities at this point.  In hindsight, that wouldn't have worked out well anyway since they would have needed to write backwards for us to know what they were writing since they were facing the camera.

They enjoyed making circles and running though...  I like that the kids are blurred but you can still tell which one of them is using the sparkler...


Oh yeah...  I just remembered that this long exposure stuff was a surprise to me so I didn't have a tripod with me.  With no tripod to keep the camera perfectly steady I needed to hold the camera perfectly still for four to six seconds by leaning it against something fairly stable.  It worked out well for having no tripod...









It was a really nice autumn day and night and we all had a nice time!  

Next time we are out at night, I'll have to remember to bring along a tripod and some glow sticks so the kids can create some colorful long exposure art by playing with colored light.



Comments