Shelves


Another little project that I've been working on little by little is making some shelves for my cameras.  Camera and lens storage has been a problem for me for quite some time.  I have some cameras that I would like to display so some open shelves seemed like a good idea.  At some point down the road, I will need to build some sort of built-in cabinet for lenses and adapters.  

I decided to make some floating shelves for the living room as well as for our bedroom.  

What moved this project to the front burner was having our old surround sound somehow getting toasted due to a brown-out or surge.  The old surround sound was a sound bar that I had mounted rather inconspicuously on the wall underneath the television.  It was very compact for a home theatre sound package.  This new surround sound is better than the sound bar with many more options and has five separate speakers and a large receiver so it takes up more space and can be rather conspicuous and difficult to blend into its surroundings.

The hefty receiver fits on our built-in shelves in our fireplace surround so that was no problem.  It slipped right into the empty shelf.  The speakers, however, are currently sitting on and taking up space on our mantle under the television and I'd like to get them off the mantle and back up on the wall where the sound bar was located previously.  This plan would require a new shelf.  This particular shelf is how this larger project including display shelves began.

I decided to make this shelf match the shelves I was planning for displaying some cameras.  On a nice, dry, sunny day, I cut some 5/4 lumber into specific lengths to fit into the specific areas for each shelf.  Then I sanded each shelf with 100 grit sandpaper...  rounded the edges...  then sanded with 120 grit...  then finished up with 220 grit sandpaper.  The shelves are now nice and smooth and ready for stain.  

Now I just need another spurt of energy.

Comments