Old Photo

The other night, I went looking through old hard drives where I store old photos to look for something.  Instead, I was distracted as I came across a different photo that I found interesting.  

I usually try to capture at least part of the eyes in my people photos because that is where emotion and the soul is typically found.  On rare occasions, however, a different approach may work.  

In this particular photo, Lukey and Kenzie are turned away from me with their backs to me...  no faces, no eyes.  The photo still manages to tell a story and capture some feeling...  a feeling that they were cold...  huddled up close to the wood stove trying to get warm...  dressed in a way you typically only see kids under five years old...  in their underwear and shirts after a day in the water and on the beach...  the fire was just starting so there still were no open flames... their hands out in front of them feeling the little bit of warmth...  

I can't believe it but I actually vividly remember this night!  The kids were four years old.  I was cooking dinner...  Italian meatballs to be exact...  the kids were cold and trying to warm up at the stove.  The sunny and warm weather turned shortly before this photo was shot and dark rain clouds were approaching from the other side of the lake.  The kids were warming themselves up at the wood stove and waiting relatively patiently for me to give them a test meatball...  I always give them a meatball to share to test out the batch of meatballs.  This also allows me an opportunity to cut one open to test whether they are still too rare or done perfectly.  

Anyway, the kids were warming up and waiting for their test meatball...


After dinner, we had an arts and crafts evening...  then I remember capturing Lukey gazing out the windows as a thunderstorm approached...  his face reflected in the glass...  and I know Kenzie must have been very happy this particular evening because my Grandmother's meatballs are her favorite meal.  

Contrary to general photography rules, sometimes, a photo showing only the backs of people can work just fine.


Comments