Pink Moon Not So Pink

Actually, this month's Pink Moon isn't named as such because it appears pink.  It is named the Pink Moon for the April blooming of the Ground Phlox which is a pink flower.  Anyway, tonight's moon was quite colorless from our neck of the woods as it rose over the Worcester Range.  It was, however, quite large.  I think this is the full moon that is closest to Earth for this calendar year, if I remember correctly, which would make it a so-called supermoon.  

I shot this photo through our opened living room window.  Convenient, huh?  Since it was a last second decision to shoot this full moon, I didn't quite get all my camera settings set correctly.  Within a couple of minutes, the moon was moving behind some utility lines and then trees.  This image will have to do...


For those interested in the technical aspects of this image...  I shot this with my little Sony a6000 camera body and my Canon L 400mm f5.6 lens mounted on a tripod.  I shot it at f8, ISO 100, with a shutter speed of 1/250th of a second.  Full moons are tough to shoot because the light is hitting the moon in such a way that we don't get to see many shadows which makes a rather flat image.  More shadows would provide more details visible from Earth.  

For a full moon photo, this one is pretty good though!  I like that you can actually see some of the mountainous rims of craters on the limb around the 4 o'clock position.  I also like that there is some light visible on the limb at the 10 o'clock position.  

Comments