Weather Not Cooperating

Sheila and I are in the process of moving her workstation from our kitchen table to her own home office in what used to be referred to as our 'train room'.  The trains are all on shelves now and the room has been cleared of clutter in preparation of Sheila's new desk and office.

The legs and supports for the new desk.
Sheila received word that she'll be working from home for the foreseeable future so we figured it was time to move her out of the kitchen and into her own working space.  Converting a room to a home office was quite an undertaking since we are still in the process of renovating the house little by little and this is a very small house with no 'extra room'.  Making a clean spot is like a giant tile game of sliding numbered tiles one space at a time to free up space elsewhere on the board.  That is what we had to do to make a clean spot for Sheila and my spine is in no condition to do things like this anymore!

The process of designing and building her desk has been going surprisingly well except that the weather is not cooperating and that is delaying us significantly.  I'm in the process of applying finish coats of polyurethane on the entire desk so the weather needs to cooperate.  My workshop is actually the open backyard so I am very much dependent upon the weather cooperating with our plans.  This is especially true once I start the finish work.

I've accomplished nothing the past few days and especially through this past weekend due to unpredictable passing showers.  I definitely did not want to get caught with the freshly polyurethane-coated desk pieces drying in the backyard as another passing shower started falling from the sky!  

Sheila was sick all weekend too.  She has been fighting a fever all weekend and had a sore throat and just generally felt rather lousy.  Fortunately, she is feeling more like herself today and she no longer has a fever so that is good.  

The new desktop.
Now the weather is hot and humid again which messes up the stability of my own health.  

The oppressing humidity makes it incredibly difficult for me to breathe.  Needless to say, today, I feel like doing nothing but breathe.  I'm exhausted too...  which is no surprise since I am having trouble breathing...  so I feel like sleeping the day away. 

The heat brings on anaphylaxis unless I continually try to keep cool and manage my symptoms with extra medications.  If that fails, then I need to resort to emergency medications including epinephrine.  Right now, however, I just want to sleep.

That reminds me of another issue during periods such as these.  When I change my schedule significantly by sleeping away most of the day, I often miss doses of medications or take doses late.  A missed dose or even a late dose of medications usually means my health crashes into anaphylaxis.  

Lately, I've also been spending plenty of time being sick in the bathroom.  Much of the issues landing me in the bathroom have been due to a change in my medications because the FDA removed one of my needed drugs from the market.  Since that time, my replacement drug isn't nearly as effective so I can't wander far from the bathroom.  Considering we never leave the house since the pandemic started, this hasn't been a major issue but it will be once it is safe for us to wander from the house.  

Anyway, as you can see in these photos, Sheila's desk is coming along but the weather has put a weather hold on this project for now.  


Comments