Additional Health Issues

The past three weeks have been quite lousy for me.  Somehow, my body started bleeding internally.  Accomplishing anything or even doing anything, naturally, was put on hold until this is resolved.

Eating has been minimal and my drinking has been mostly water (and I absolutely hate drinking water).  Once a day I add a glass of apple juice with some fiber too.  The rest of my daily food has been soft, very bland foods and fruit.  I haven't eaten such bland food in about four decades before I left my parents' house for college and the Air Force.  My mother was the queen of dry, overcooked, bland cooking.  The running joke on our block was that whenever someone smelled something burning, everyone would remark, "Oh...  Mrs Maher must be cooking again."  She certainly liked her food bland and beyond well-done, that's for sure.  Even when we went to restaurants, she would always send her plate back for more cooking or less spices or both.  

Two of my daily medications, taken for various purposes, also happen to have a side effect of thinning the blood and I was taking a lot of these medications.  I cut the doses in half about two years ago because of the threat of internal bleeding at my older age but the doses were still large enough to be a bleeding threat.  I had to stop taking these medications altogether three weeks ago.  

These two medications had three purposes.  The first purpose was to block Prostaglandin D2 to help keep blood flowing to my lungs to help my breathing issues during mast cell degranulation.  This Prostaglandin D2 blocker was also helping to minimize blotchy flushing on my face, neck and shoulders caused by mast cell degranulation.  The third purpose was to minimize inflammation in my spine as a result of my extensive spinal injuries.  Needless to say, my new level of spinal pain has rendered me almost useless and I am again hobbling around like a very old man.  Standing and groaning now go hand-in-hand as well as hobbling and groaning.  

Unfortunately, I likely won't be going back to the daily anti-inflammatory drugs under the circumstances so I'm going to need to get used to this new inflammation and pain.  I've been worse (particularly when first injured) so I know I can find a way to block out most of the pain.  At least I am able to stand and walk.  

Sleeping has been difficult because of the pain.  My diet is very light and mostly soft even now three weeks into this.  There has been no exercise, no daily physical therapy.  On the positive side, I've lost a bunch of weight!  Something good needs to come out of this...  and losing a bunch of weight is a good thing!

Comments