Another Overdue Ankle Update

The few who actually follow this blog probably think that since I haven't mentioned my ankle injury lately that my ankle is back to normal.  That is not true.  No news isn't always good news.

While it is true that the swelling is down and the pain has subsided quite a bit, I am still walking delicately on that ankle and my range of motion is still fairly limited.  When I do too much walking, it still swells a bit.  Then the ice packs come out and I'm still resting with the ankle elevated too.  

The pain, for the most part, isn't nearly as bad now.  I do get twinges of excruciating pain when I do something stupid like put too much weight on it or trip when working in the yard but, overall, the pain is just a dull ache most of the time.  I'm also getting weird tingling in my ankle like I have one of those useless, torturous TENS units attached to my ankle.  Sometimes it develops like pins and needles.  I assume these types of sensations and pain is a sign of my ankle healing...  slowly...  very, very, very slowly.  

One thing is certain... this injury is taking forever to heal.  It is taking so long that I sometimes wonder if it will ever be back to normal.  I am now at the 12 week point into this injury/flare-up now.  It is getting better and better each week though so that is good.  I do get little set-backs but, week by week, the ankle is slowly healing and improving.  

I had been told that a severe ankle sprain can require three to six months to heal...   I guess that is accurate since I am at the three month point now.  This certainly was severe considering I could not put any amount of weight on that ankle for at least a solid month.  

Anyway... my ankle is slowly healing.  It still flares up a bit and swells up a bit but less and less each time.  The pain is still present but that too is subsiding each and every day.  Things are improving but it is seeming to linger forever....

Comments