Still Laid Up

A bit more time has passed so I thought I should write a bit.  I haven't been writing much lately simply because I am accomplishing nothing each day...  well...  weekly...  hmmm...  monthly...  okay, pretty much for the whole of 2021.  I actually long for 2020 again.  

I'm still laid up with a sprained knee.  To refresh, I started 2021 with an ankle injury.  I couldn't even put the smallest amount of weight on my ankle for weeks.  Within about four months, I was back to trying to build up my muscles around the injury.  Unfortunately, all that time off my left leg and consequently hobbling around on my right leg caused some problems with my right leg and, more specifically, my right knee.  I am fairly certain I have sprained my right MCL.

By June, I was able to get around again.  I was playing soccer with Lukey and Kenzie daily.  I still had some pain and I continued wearing a brace but I seemed to be recovering nicely.  It was a long recovery but it was looking like the worst of the injuries were behind me at the time. 

By July, I had injured my right knee again.  Then there was more time laid up recovering.  This seesawing back and forth between feeling okay and not being able to get around continued through the following few months.  The last couple of times I re-injured my right knee, it happened while cutting the lawn so I've been avoiding that for the last two weeks.  Last week, we went to Shaw's to do our weekly food shopping and my knee was hurting about halfway through the store.  By the time I was walking from the car back into the house, I couldn't put any weight on my right knee again and Sheila needed to retrieve my cane.  I hobbled back into the house and continued my prolonged recovery knowing I had set myself back again to where I was at the beginning of the injury.

At this point, I realized that it would probably be wise to purchase some crutches to use when I need to get around like at the supermarket.  Sheila and I went to Shaw's yesterday for our weekly shopping visit and I brought the crutches with me.  Fortunately, the crutches were effective and I did no damage to my knee or ankle this time around.  So, I'll be using crutches until I can recover and then build up some muscle again around the two injuries.  When I feel relatively comfortable, I'll transition back to the cane and then transition to no cane nor crutches...  hopefully.

The pain is pretty lousy.  It is interrupting my sleep.  Getting around is difficult.  Showering is perhaps the most difficult thing to do!  Needless to say, you should know that if I'm having difficulty just showering, then I'm really not getting anything else accomplished.  

Overall, this has been a very lousy year.  Certainly significantly worse than last year.  I'm looking forward to some sweet relief and better health...  hopefully soon...

Comments