New Kitchen Sink Fully Installed

The remainder of the plumbing parts I had ordered for our new kitchen sink installation project arrived last night.  This was good news because they weren't projected to arrive until early next week.  I successfully jumped on what little still needed to be done first thing this morning.  Now the new sink is fully functional!

I needed some additional plumbing parts to connect the drain of the smaller sink basin to our waste plumbing so that delayed me in finishing up this relatively easy project.  

The drains of our new sink do not line up exactly the same as our old sink so that was the first difference I needed to resolve.  The other difference is that the basins of the new sink are two different depths while both basins of the old sink were at the same depth.  The large basin of our new sink is at nine inches deep while the smaller basin is only eight inches deep.  The different depths really screwed up connecting the new sink to the drain.  I thought this would be quite easy to resolve but I had a big problem finding the exact parts I needed.

I had to order separate pieces rather than use a kit.  I couldn't find a kit made for different basin depths.  It is possible that I couldn't find a kit because I didn't know what to call this particular kit but, nevertheless, I couldn't find a kit.  Since we were quarantined awaiting COVID-19 test results, I had to do all my plumbing shopping online.  I usually prefer shopping online but shopping for these plumbing parts was a pain in the butt.  In order to get productive search results, you really need to know the exact names of each plumbing part when searching at Lowes or Home Depot.  Needless to say, I had to keep altering my search using different search words.  

After multiple searches over two days, I finally came across a specific elbow that would work in our situation.  I ordered the elbow, some slip nuts, washers, and a new tailpiece.  As I said, these parts finally arrived last night.  I didn't immediately jump into this project last night because I had already started on a beer or two while watching a University of Dayton basketball game.  Instead, I enjoyed the basketball game and then jumped right into the remainder of this project first thing this morning.

Fortunately, I had no problems...  a few measurements...  a few quick cuts...  sand down the rough edges where I cut...  insert each part, one at a time, into the whole drain assembly...  tighten down the slip nuts...  run some water to test...  everything remained dry...  piece of cake!

I also had to install our new soap dispenser.  The old soap dispenser was no longer pumping out soap so I had ordered a new dispenser a couple of weeks ago just before our old quartz sink shattered.  This new soap dispenser didn't arrive until after I had installed the new sink so I tackled this small installation this morning too.  Installing this soap dispenser was actually a little more difficult than connecting the smaller basin to our drain.  That soap dispenser is in a hard to reach place when you only have access from the bottom.  I had to remove our trash bin for this part of the project.  Then trying to find the exact right size wrench that will fit on the nut while also fit in the cramped space up underneath the sink was a bit frustrating too.  I managed to get it installed rather quickly though.

Overall, it was a rather uneventful installation other than needing some extra parts that I had not ordered right at the beginning.  Regardless, I'm glad this little project is completed and we now have a working kitchen sink again!





Comments