Peace of Mind and Solar Observing

I
'm still down for the count with some sort of bad cold or virus so I'm not doing much (yet still testing negative for COVID...  I don't believe it though).  Whenever I attempt to do something, such as walk across a room, I start coughing and coughing and coughing.  So, I'm sitting in the house trying to figure out what I can do.

The sun was shining in between lots of scattered clouds which reminded that the last time I had my good solar filter out (the other day) it did not work.  I saw no detail and then noticed that my power LED was not illuminated.  I made an assumption that my battery was the issue but I had not tested the filter again, visually, since then.  I figured that since I wasn't doing much this morning that perhaps this would be a good time to set up a telescope to test the filter.  

This particular filter is a specialized hydrogen alpha filter but is really considered an "entry level" filter but that doesn't mean it is at a budget price.  Solar astronomy is perhaps the most expensive type of astronomy.  I know guys who have gear costing upwards of five figures for sure and some even use gear costing upwards of six figures.  That is well out of my budget.  It isn't even in my neighborhood.  I'm in a budget kayak while these guys are in yachts.  Still, this filter was pricey for me so I need to baby it and make sure it will last as long as possible.  

I slowly set up a telescope outside the side door to the house...  more coughing...  but setting up in this area of the yard meant less walking was necessary.  Less walking means less energy used and less coughing which are good things.

Things went very smoothly and I was quickly comforted in knowing that my filter is just fine.  Apparently, it was just a problem with the battery the last time out.  I guess I must have forgotten to charge it up the last time I used it...  or maybe even the last two times I used it.  Hmmm...  or maybe it isn't charging well when solar charging?  (That will be another thing to check, I suppose.)

The views were nice.  I saw some prominences, some sunspots in active regions, some spicules, some filaments and some plages.  I used a telescope with a long focal length this time so my views were relatively closeup views.  After spending a few sessions concerned about full disk views, it was nice to get some views that were a bit closer.  

So, my filter is still working just fine!

Now I just need to head back outside and bring everything back indoors so I can safely store each component in its specific case.  This means more coughing...

I'm really looking forward to an easy lunch and then a long nap.



Comments