Test Run on Track

The nine feet of used track that I had ordered online the other day arrived today so I was finally able to run this large Fn3 scale steam locomotive on some track for the first time.  A couple of days ago, I spent a little time cleaning and lubricating this old steam locomotive.  I had tested it, running, while it was lying on its side but I had yet to run it on any track...  until today. 

When the track arrived, it was in need of cleaning.  The rails were a solid dark brown color indicating they would not conduct nearly enough of the low voltage electricity needed to power any locomotive.  The rails appeared to be completely oxidized.  Actually, it appears as though this track was barely used and probably spent most of its life on a display shelf which is likely what its primary use will be at our home too (along with occasional test runs).  After a few minutes of cleaning, the tops of the rails were nice and shiny again.

I didn't clean any of the rail joiners nor where the rail joiners touch the sides of the rail so I still wasn't sure how well the track as a whole would conduct power from one piece of track to the next.  I figured I would try just cleaning the tops of the rails first and see how it goes.  

After cleaning, I then assembled the track across the living room floor in front of our fireplace.  Nine feet of track would be a nice run for all of my smaller trains but nine feet is still quite short for a big Fn3 scale locomotive.  If I added the very few freight cars I own in this scale to the back end of this locomotive, I doubt the whole train would fit on nine feet of track.  This nine feet of track is just barely long enough to do a few short test runs of the locomotive and tender but it is long enough.  It is certainly a better test than running the locomotive on its side.

As you can see in the video, below, this old locomotive is running nicely now.  Not bad at all for a $40 train set bought in "not running - as is" condition!  At the moment, it is running using a very basic analog DC power control but it is running smoothly even with this basic power source.  I should have absolutely no problems converting this steam locomotive to digital command control with high quality sound!  Ideally, I'd like to upgrade the electronics to a combination digital command control that would run this locomotive in either DCC track power or with on-board battery power instead of track power.  Actually, I'd like to do this with all of my locomotives but it will be easiest to do on this large Fn3 scale steam locomotive so this is the top candidate for this type of electronics upgrade. 


Comments