Fuji Camera Remote App

I'm still familiarizing myself with my new-to-me Fuji X30 compact camera and thought I should write a bit more about this really amazing little camera and especially Fuji's Camera Remote app.

Over the years, I've recommended this camera to quite a few people who were mostly beginners with very little photography experience.  This can be a great camera for those who know little about photography yet it produces some stunning images. 

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone ever went ahead and purchased this camera after asking for my advice (I could write a book about all the times I was asked for advice and then they did not heed that advice instead often going for something I would never purchase for myself nor recommend under any circumstances) but, I can now say with complete honesty, that this recommendation of mine was a solid one.  

Even today, nine years after this camera was first released, I would still recommend this camera to someone who wants a small, easy to use compact camera.  Unfortunately, these compact cameras are now difficult to find especially in good condition and at a reasonable price.  Fuji discontinued these cameras back around 2016 so new ones are long gone.  This camera is so good that it quickly became a collector's item so is now even difficult to find used.  I searched for years before finally finding my X30 a week ago.

The more I learn about this camera while it is in my hands, the more I realize that this camera is one of the most perfect compact cameras for under $2000.  And, I should point out that I paid only $400 for it.  

At this point, I've only had this camera less than a week so I am still learning about all of its features and setting it up for my style of shooting.  On the other hand, any beginner who knows nothing about cameras could just put it into one of its 'auto' modes and shoot great photos right away.  There is so much more to this little compact camera though and I learn a bit more each day.  With each new thing I learn, the more amazed I am.

The other day, I downloaded and installed the Fujifilm Camera Remote app on my cellphone.  I despise cellphones but I admit they are convenient for utilitarian, first-world-only apps (ie, home automation, home security, controlling home heating and cooling, astronomy, photography, etc).  Fujifilm happens to have an app that does a nice job at controlling Fuji cameras.  

This is the screen you see when you start the app...



After selecting an option in the app (Live View for remote control of the camera, Importing photos to your cellphone, etc), you simply click on the Wireless Connection button on the camera.  The cellphone and the camera connect wirelessly to each other relatively quickly and with just a press of a button...


In "Live View", you have quite a few camera controls (not all, but quite a few).  In the photo below, I am choosing a Film Simulation style...


When you have all your settings the way you desire, you simply touch the screen where you want to focus and then touch the shutter button (the circle).  This app allows you to keep the camera solidly on a tripod without the need to even touch the camera to avoid camera shake.


The LCD on the back of the camera is completely dark while it is connected to the cellphone app.  All control and a live view is shown in the app.  When you disconnect from the app, the LCD on the camera then displays either a Live View or one of your other preferred screens.  In this photo below, we are looking at the rear LCD screen showing all the current camera settings which is a display I prefer.  In most cases, I use the viewfinder for framing the shot...


Here is a photo of the front of the camera.  You can also see the little travel tripod that I find useful for this camera.  I have the telescoping legs retracted in this photo but the legs also extend for some height when necessary.  This small lightweight tripod is great for a small grab-and-go compact camera like this Fuji X30.  (Every time I look at this camera, I'm amazed that it is a used camera from nine years ago!)


Here is a photo of the top plate...  from left to right, there is a plastic cover protecting the hot shoe (center of top plate) which is used for a flash, then the mode dial, the shutter release button (the black and brass button), the video toggle (red button), and the exposure compensation dial...


The last photo shows the lens.  This is a rather typical Fujifilm lens...  in other words, a typical sharp and high quality Fuji lens.  It is also a fast lens at f2 which is great for background separation as well as for allowing in more light for low light photography.  The lens is a zoom lens with a focal length of 28mm to 112mm plus the camera sports a 2x digital zoom at the press of a button.  I'm liking this lens...


This Fujifilm Camera Remote app is a really nice feature for Fuji cameras.  I wish all camera manufacturers provided something like this.  Sony did provide an app for thier cameras for a while but there were so many complaints about their apps that they dropped it.  Sony does, however, provide live view tethering for their newer camera models connected to a desktop computer which is nice for studio work.  The Fujifilm app, on the other hand, is very useful for getting steady shots on a tripod when out and about in the field without needing to touch the camera.  

That is a really nice feature and this app is a great bonus for a whole line of cameras!  

 

Comments