Delaminating LCD Screen

There is no doubt that I am liking my newly converted infrared camera.  Well, I'm liking the images it produces.  I have always liked this type of black and white photography for its deep shadows, bright foliage, beautiful tonal qualities and remarkable clarity.  

Before actually having one of my cameras converted to infrared, I didn't realize how affordable it can be to convert a camera to record only in infrared wavelengths.  Considering the low cost and the beautiful monochrome images this creates, I am very happy with my decision to have one of my camera bodies converted to record only in infrared wavelengths.

As much as I am happy with my decision to have one of my old camera bodies converted to infrared, I am now finding that the old camera I had converted to infrared seems to be having some age-related problems as well as some service-related problems neither of which makes me all too happy.  

Because of the latest and curious problem that I recently noticed developing right after the camera was returned to me, I'm now re-evaluating the quality of service I received from this service facility.

When this camera arrived back from the shop, it had some very sticky spots on it like a hand with a finger covered in some sticky goop had been grasping the camera.  I was a bit disappointed that the shop didn't clean up my camera before sending it back to me but I didn't think much of it at the time because I know for sure that I would have cleaned it thoroughly upon arrival anyway.  So, I cleaned it up and didn't really think much of it at the time.  I did feel it was very unprofessional of them to return a camera to me in this condition but I just cleaned it up myself and left it at that.  I guess I was thinking, "oh well...  sometimes someone forgets to do something menial like cleaning up any mess they made."

Yesterday or the day before, I wrote about my sensor being quite dirty and needing to be cleaned.  This is a monthly maintenance thing anyway so that was no big deal and I know that the sensor being dirty was something that happened while I, myself, was using the camera over the past week.  However, as I was inspecting this newly converted sensor to determine whether it needed to be cleaned, I noticed that there are a few small streaks on it now that were not there before I had it converted.  I've regularly cleaned this sensor since purchasing this camera so I am absolutely certain that these little streaks were not on the sensor before this infrared conversion service.  Had they been there on the sensor, I know I would not have sent this particular camera in for conversion to infrared.  I would have chosen a different camera body and tossed this camera body in the trash bin.

After noticing these little streaks and then thoroughly cleaning the sensor the other day, I've come to the conclusion that these few little streaks are actually on the backside of the new filter that has been placed over my sensor that blocks out all visible light below the 830nm wavelength.  Above 830nm is infrared light.  These little streaks wouldn't come off during cleaning so I'm quite certain they are not on the topside of this filter.  I believe they are on the backside of this bandpass filter and now sandwiched between the sensor and the filter where I cannot get at them.  On the positive side, I see no sign of these little streaks in my images so that is good but it is a little bothersome for a perfectionist like I am.  As I said, this problem does not seem to affect my images so that is good.  I do wonder, however, if certain conditions may show these streaks on rare occasions.  Only time will tell.  Whether I can see defects in my images due to these small streaks isn't the point.  The streaks should not be there.  

These little things are a sign of the quality of service that had been performed on this camera during the conversion to infrared.  Consequently, I have already decided that if I ever need this type of service again (ie, on a better camera body), I will not be sending my camera(s) to this particular facility.  

To sum up my little complaints...  

When I received my camera from the shop, there were some sticky areas on my camera body and especially on the mode dial which is sloppy and unprofessional.  I don't think anyone would disagree with that.  This should have been cleaned off before being packaged and shipped back to me.  This shows the level of professionalism of the service.   

Then I find that there are some small streaks on the backside of the bandpass filter that has been placed over my sensor.  Again, I think this is a telltale sign of the level of professionalism of the service that had been performed on this camera body during the infrared conversion.  

My latest complaint just a week or so after service, is that the rear LCD screen has been quickly delaminating over the past week since the camera has been returned to me as seen in the photo above.  It is far worse today than it was on the day I received the camera back from the service facility.  I'd say the delaminated areas are twice as large/spread-out across the whole LCD screen as it was on the day I opened the shipping box.  The LCD screen has delaminated enough that it is very difficult to view in the sun even though infrared photography is always done in the sun.  When I sent this camera in for conversion to infrared, there was no delamination at all.  The LCD screen was in good condition.

I do have to point out that I don't know what the service center could have done to my camera to cause this particular delamination problem but it is yet another little problem that is frustrating me.  And, it is a problem that did not appear until the camera was returned to me.  Perhaps this problem arising now is a coincidence but it still leaves me with a very uneasy feeling about the service this facility had done on my camera especially when combined with the other problems I've noticed in the past week.  

In hindsight, I should have shot extensive photos of all parts of the camera body before sending it in for service.  The dated EXIF data embedded in the photo would have proven the condition of the camera when I sent it in for service.  As it stand today, I have no proof of the condition of my camera right before service.  I only have my memory of this camera and older photos (the above 'before' photo is an older photo).  In the future, before sending any camera body in for service, I will shoot extensive photographs of the camera before packaging it up and shipping it to a service facility.  Actually, it would be a good idea to show the way it was packaged in a series of photos or a video too.

At one time, I experienced this same type of LCD screen delamination on my Sony a7 camera.  For that particular camera, it was easy for find a repair video online and just as easy to find an inexpensive part to fix the issue.  I just carefully peeled off the old delaminating top layer of the LCD screen, cleaned it, and then applied the new clear protective layer.  Unfortunately, I have not be able to find any videos related to repairing this Panasonic G3 LCD screen.  The only part I could find was a protective coating that is applied over the factory installed LCD screen not in place of the top layer of the LCD screen.  I'm not even sure this top layer can be peeled off without destroying the LCD screen.  This leaves me with a dilemma.  

I've decided to order the most appropriate and best quality protective screen cover I could find that is designed specifically for the Panasonic G3.  When it arrives, then I will carefully attempt to peel off the topmost layer of my delaminating LCD screen.  I'll clean it up.  Then if things look okay, I'll apply the new protective coating.  If this procedure renders the LCD inoperative, then I'll need to decide what to do with this camera....  Toss it in the trash bin?  Replace the entire LCD screen assembly myself?  Send the camera to a better facility to repair it?  

I can say with absolute certainty right now that the cost of repair at a service facility would probably be the same as having a different camera body converted to infrared so it would probably make more sense to simply choose a different camera body (a newer one) to have converted to infrared (at a better conversion facility).

There is a possibility that since this is a touch screen LCD on this Panasonic G3, I might destroy the LCD screen altogether by attempting to peel off the topmost layer.  And, even if I don't completely destroy the LCD screen, then I will likely lose touch screen capability.  On the positive side, I can live without the touch screen capability.  I rarely use it anyway.  If I can get a crystal clear screen again by peeling off the delaminating layer and applying this new protective layer, then that would be great!  This part cost me less than $20 so it certainly is not an expensive part but it is frustrating to need to attempt this undocumented repair nevertheless especially when I don't know whether it will work or not.

I know I successfully repaired the LCD screen on my Sony a7 but that screen is not a touch screen.  In case anyone is wondering, I had to replace that LCD screen because sunscreen lotion from my nose caused the LCD screen to delaminate.  I no longer use sunscreen on my face when I plan to use my camera(s).  Since I had success in replacing the top layer of my LCD screen on my Sony a7, I am hopeful that I will have some success in replacing this LCD screen on my Panasonic G3.

We'll see how it goes when the part arrives next week...



Comments