New LCD Screen

About a week ago, I wrote about the LCD screen on my newly converted infrared camera delaminating so badly that it was difficult to see anything on the screen.  I knew I needed to remove the top protective layer and replace it with a new LCD screen protector.  Finding one for this old camera was extremely difficult though.

The screen protector that I purchased was a package of two protectors, thankfully.  The first try didn't go well...  not at all!  That first one was peeled off the LCD screen and tossed in the trash bin.  I had bubbles in it as well as dust.  It looked terrible so I pulled it off.

When I attempted to apply that first screen protector for the first time, I instantly realized that these screen protectors are slightly too long.  Before I applied the second screen protector, I used an X-Acto knife to slice off one end of the second protector and then rounded the corners with scissors.  I think it was still too large though because this one is not sitting correctly either but it is far better than the first one I tried to apply. 

It is looking much better than the old delaminated screen though...


I actually had to peel back this second protector a couple of times to remove dust that was causing a lot of bubbles.  The instructions mentioned using tape to remove dust from the back of the protector so I did that...  a few times...  I finally removed almost all of the dust but it also does not stick well to the camera.  Being less sticky made it easy to peel, clean with tape and reapply but this is far too easy to peel off so I know it is not going to last long.  Overall, I'm not too pleased with this product.

It looks okay when the LCD is turned on (this is an infrared camera so it is a black and white image on that LCD screen)...


Here is a photo of the old one that I had to peel off...  it was difficult to see anything through this delaminated screen.  


Even though I managed to cut this second replacement protective screen to size and apply it, I'm not happy with it.  It is not stuck down all that well.  I can pull it off fairly easily which leads me to believe that it will bubble when the temperature rises in the summertime.  

So, I went on another long online search for a different brand of LCD screen protector for this camera.  I found one at a camera store that I purchase from fairly often and ordered it.  I won't see that one until late next week.  I want to have another on hand for when this one starts bubbling off due to its lack of adhesive qualities.

I also found a cut-to-size one.  If this latest one I ordered doesn't meet my standards, I'll try the cut-to-size one next.  My options are extremely limited for this old camera model.  It seems that nobody is making them for this old camera anymore.

In the meantime, I can now see my LCD screen again!  This should work just fine for a few months.



Comments