Switch Box Extension

After using the new Alexa-enabled dimmer light switch for the train room for a few days, I still wasn't completely happy with the lingering potential for future train car disasters on these shelves.  As I mentioned in previous blog entries, when people would reach into the shelves to access the light switch that was mounted flush on the wall inside these shelves, they would sometimes snag or bump a locomotive and the locomotive would come crashing down to the hardwood floor resulting in significant damage to the locomotive(s).  

I added an extra shelf immediately below the switch to help mitigate where the arm could swing as well as adding a voice controlled Alexa-enabled dimmer switch but I wasn't convinced this was enough.  After using this new configuration for a few days, I decided I should extend the switch box outward a bit to play it safe.  This would move the dimmer switch closer to the front of these display shelves so people wouldn't have to reach into the shelves to access the switch.  Although I did narrow the area where the hand had to venture into the shelves, I felt that the dimmer light switch was still too deep into these shelves.  I decided to design and build an extension to move that switch away from the wall and toward the front of the shelves.  

I cut some scrap wood to make this extension box...


Then I added the pigtail wiring extensions from the existing electrical box in the wall to this new electrical box mounted in this extension...


Once I determined that everything was working and it seemed like a good functional size of an extension, I started painting it to match the shelves.  In this case, this new extension box required three coats of white paint.  This photo, below, was shot after the first coat of paint...


The finished work looks okay.  I think I need to round the vertical edges a bit more to make it match the shelves better but it looks okay.  

(EDIT:  I did go back and softened those vertical edges a bit so they match the edges of the shelves and now it looks more like it belongs with the shelves.)  

I mounted this extension box to the bottom side of the shelf directly above the light switch.  You can see the hidden screw hole from this angle.  I'm still waiting on wood plugs to arrive so I can fill those holes (one on each side) and paint them.  

(EDIT:  I installed the wood plugs and painted them at the same time that I painted the front edges after rounding down the edges a bit more.)  

Hmmm...  maybe I'll sand those two front vertical edges to round them over more so they better match the shelves.  I have to paint those plugs anyway so I might as well paint the front edges too.  

(EDIT:  Done!  And the plugs are now in the hidden pocket holes on each side of this extension.)



This little extra project went quickly and I think it will now resolve any additional damage to my locomotives due to people trying to get at the light switch.  These locomotives are still vulnerable to little curious hands but there isn't much I can do about that except watch those little hands closely when they are near.  




Comments